Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up another 1926 Lithgow recently, which just happened to be consecutively numbered to one of my other 26's.

The first B15597 is fully matching and has been posted here before.

The second B15598 isn't fully matching. The bolt and nosecap match, however the forend is a replacement and not numbered. The barrel is English and is numbered to the rifle, however the rear sight is Australian and not numbered and the cocking piece is an earlier version.

PAA numbers which have been discussed as to their numbering sequences are not consecutive to each other.

Remnants of red paint are on the butt so I assume a cadet rifle at some stage.

Top is B15597 bottom B15598

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Shotgun Gun barrel

White Gas Font Auto part Close-up

Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Wood Line Gas Metal Shotgun

Light Bicycle part Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Nice one mate, but please don’t mention red butts here. Your thread will quickly go off on a tangent.
Picked up another 1926 Lithgow recently, which just happened to be consecutively numbered to one of my other 26's.

The second B15598 isn't fully matching. The bolt and nosecap match, however the forend is a replacement and not numbered. The barrel is English and is numbered to the rifle, however the rear sight is Australian and not numbered and the cocking piece is an earlier version.

PAA numbers which have been discussed as to their numbering sequences are not consecutive to each other.

View attachment 4008789
View attachment 4008790
View attachment 4008791
View attachment 4008792
View attachment 4008793

Great find - what are the chances of that ?

Have you brought a Lotto ticket this week ?

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Nice one mate, but please don’t mention red butts here. Your thread will quickly go off on a tangent.
That is not very likely is it - this is a serious Enfield Collectors forum with no deviation, hestitaion or repetition allowed.

Vertebrate Working animal Temple Mammal Terrestrial animal

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,803 Posts

View attachment 4008789
View attachment 4008790
View attachment 4008791
View attachment 4008792
View attachment 4008793
That is not very likely is it - this is a serious Enfield Collectors forum with no deviation, hestitaion or repetition allowed.

View attachment 4008815
Ha, no I was actually referring to red banded rifle butts.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
A very nice pair. Any other dates on these? I have a bayonet dated 9 '27 serial # B 14890, maybe bayonet production was behind rifles or.........
I don’t believe there was ever any intended synchronization between bayonet and rifle production. Only numbers needed.
Things weren’t exactly being rushed out the door in the interwar years either.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,675 Posts
1926's are interesting. In reviewing the data sets in one of the posts on this site, there are more 1926's in the database than any other year, by far and away more. Last show I was at I found a very nice 1926 Lithgow, all matching, clean as a pin. With the mark of death, JJCO. I bought it anyway.
Why are so many 1926's represented ? Curious.
OP. great find to be able to put these together.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts