Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tickled to find this pair of 1959 produced Colt .38 Spl Officers Model Match revolvers with consecutive serial numbers. They were purchased in a group of ten by the Royal Oak Michigan police department. Both have factory fitted short actions (single action only functioning). Slight wear on the bottom of the trigger guards and barrel show that they spent many miles riding in a shooting box.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Quite a nice find. A little too lazy to research, but I believe as mine in .22 LR, Third Models those. I do wonder why a PD would acquire the SA only configuration. Yet likely all the better for you. I believe perhaps they're a bit more valuable than the comparatively more prolific standard DA/SA configuration. Very nice guns usually with wonderful triggers!
My take.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I dont know whether to say 'deep pockets' or just 'different pockets'. I am surprised a (presumably) smaller department would have the budget for funding something suggesting an SAO shooting team. I might have expected such perhaps within something such as LAPD. Otherwise, I would think these items would be officer purchase only.
Thanks for the insight Clyde!
Reflecting my inexpert take...

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,439 Posts
I'm making a guess about them being bulls-eye guns, but the target configuration and described wear pattern suggests that is what they were for. A lot of even fairly small departments maintained shooting teams in years past, and Colt didn;t charge (much) extra for the short-action, SAO mod as a factory item, so - well that is my guess.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Royal Oak is a suburb of Detroit. Detroit had a national class police shooting team in the '50's and 60's. Local police forces fielded shooting teams and provided competition/practice for the Detroit team. It should be noted that the issue weapon would have fixed sights, the adjustable sighted arms were only for target shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.