Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....198 years ago they bombarded Baltimore. No guidance, just point and shoot. The Brits developed them for their use in ther Mysore wars in India because they scare the hell out of native levies and elephants. But they went out of fashion about 1850. The Palestinians have revived that technology to randomly bombard Israel, that, and whatever flotsam they can recover from a region afloat in soviet weapons systems from the cold war. This is the apogee of a 1300 year old religious society that adores death and martyredom.
..Drive them out into the desert of Egypt.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
....198 years ago they bombarded Baltimore. No guidance, just point and shoot. The Brits developed them for their use in ther Mysore wars in India because they scare the hell out of native levies and elephants. But they went out of fashion about 1850. The Palestinians have revived that technology to randomly bombard Israel, that, and whatever flotsam they can recover from a region afloat in soviet weapons systems from the cold war. This is the apogee of a 1300 year old religious society that adores death and martyredom.
..Drive them out into the desert of Egypt.
1.JPG

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,127 Posts
Having undergone 122mm rocket barrage in Vietnam in 1968, the effect of 1850 technology still has its sting.
As well as mortar fire; even older. Not to be confrontational Dave (honestly) they are quite effective on those being hit. Even a miss is still dreadful. My bunker got hit with 2 RPGs on the top and side. It knocked four of us out. When er came to, I had shit my pants. The assistant gunner later laughed at me in the morning light as being more scared than he, :laugh:

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
I myself was on the recieving end of a 122, Actually Feb. 17th, 1968 as well, it could have been a piece of the rocket or could have been a piece of the airplane the rocket hit. Anyway I have great respect for them

·
Silver Bullet member
34,386 Posts
The rockets that Hamas has been shooting are antiquated crap, but they make a big mess when they do hit something. Israel's been shooting most of them down with their "Iron Dome" system, similar to our THAAD and Patriot systems. They claim 75-85% kill ratio.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Brits gave up the Congreve because they found something better...aimable....artillery. The Palistinians will give up their stovepipe's when ( if ) they can make something better. Until then, they are not militarily effective weapons, but terror weapons. They terrorized you two guys, but they didn't kill or maim you or render you ineffective. The Palis use them to antagonize the Israelis. To provoke them. I hope it does, mightily.

...We're back to the 'drive them into the desert ' point, aren't we. After 1300 years, Islam is still at the developemental stage of using our society's bits and pieces to build a bigger, better rock to throw.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
40,127 Posts
"Each missile fired from an Iron Dome unit costs around $40,000,..." No doubt they are effective and many magnitudes of technology superior. But, there is a quality to quantity and cheapness. The cost of silencing the "invective" weapons will be enormous.

The Palestinians have nothing and nowhere to go. So, they just pickle and writhe in their own self made misery and hate. They even turn on each other in a whim. They are willing dupes, tools, and financed by others.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
nassaulakes;2358274The Palestinians have nothing and nowhere to go. So said:
The saying in Israel is: "The Palestinians never pass up a chance to pass up a chance."

Their common brand of Islam and Arab culture absolutely refuses to accept any other religion except in a subservient condition. Their intolerance has cost them every war they've fought, every chance for peace, every opportunity to have a nation of their own.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, they just pickle and writhe in their own self made misery and hate. They even turn on each other in a whim. They are willing dupes, tools, and financed by others.

......Whoa Bro.............I never said they were Dimorats............you did.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
My brother was in Palestine last month...I have to say his impression of things there are quite different to most on this board.The Israeli's are most definitely not the good guys by any means....far from it.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My brother was in Palestine last month...I have to say his impression of things there are quite different to most on this board.The Israeli's are most definitely not the good guys by any means....far from it.
...What part of the non existant state of Palistine was he in ?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

At this point, with both sides having done many things they ought not be proud of, I doubt either side are the "good guys" any more. I'd probably go with "bad guys" and "slightly-less-bad guys"...and the fit of those shoes changes often. ;)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
At this point, with both sides having done many things they ought not be proud of, I doubt either side are the "good guys" any more. I'd probably go with "bad guys" and "slightly-less-bad guys"...and the fit of those shoes changes often. ;)
Spot on.Neither side are blameless there.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,671 Posts
I suspect the Israelis would act a bit better, and withdraw to negotiated boundaries, if they thought they could trust the local arabs to make a deal and stick to it. Including not sending peope with bombs into Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, etc.. Problem is, security issues make the Israelis into heavies, who behave in very heavy-handed and unadmirable fashions. But I'm not sure they have a lot of choice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts