Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if any GB board forum members have purchased any of the Grade B Molot 91/30 rifles and would like to know the condition of the rifle(s) received. If its a few scratches and small gouges on the stocks its not a big deal. Specifically about the condition of the rifles bore? If there are any Hex receivers? Line outs & forced matches?

At present I'm contemplating the purchase of a few Molot Grade B rifles from AIM

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
What you get: many to a few scratches and small to larger gouges on the stocks, rifles bore from worn to shiny,may indeed have Line outs & all will be forced matched numbers..........................its Grade B for a reason. There is no Santa Claus here, you buy in blind and takes your luck.

If you assume vendors no longer screen Mosins for condition, you are behind the times now.

There is a guy who has posted photos of his "First Mosin". Cosmetically it looks nice and its bore is nothing to shout and run around flogging yourself about.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i bought one recently and the stock did have some scratches but the bore looks good, i did pay an extra 10 for hand picked and it was probably worth it considering how bad some of them must be, even with hand pick it is luck if you get something in superb condition or something rare, i bought mine from classic firearms though so im not sure how good AIM's mosins are, if you just want a shooter and not a collector item it cant hurt to by a B grade mosin

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
I ordered one from AIM and it's getting here on Tuesday. I'll update you when it gets here. Didn't pay for hand select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought one from Royal Tiger and it was in pretty good shape. I got a 1943 Izhevsk with ep'ed serials. The stock had mildly flaking shellac and the bore was slightly dark with strong rifling and a small counter bore.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bought two from Aim, they came in yesterday. One is a scrubbed Tula Hex reciever, with a VG+ bore, no electro pencil, stock is in VG shape with one small gouge about 1/2 inch long by the rear barrel band. The other was a '43 Izhevsk, bore is VG+, stock is excellent, nothing about this rifle says B grade, i would rate it at VG+ overall. I didnt choose hand select.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I bought one of the "B grades" a few months ago and it was about average condition for all 91/30s I have seen, and it was an ex-PU sniper. In my opinion, any complete and original 91/30 for $120.00 delivered is a really good deal today.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought two when they were first offered. Stock a little scratched - NP. Bores exceptional - Bonus. The only thing I didn't like about these was the bill-boarding everywhere and I had never seen a WPA Imported Molot before.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
I bought one of the "B grades" a few months ago and it was about average condition for all 91/30s I have seen, and it was an ex-PU sniper. In my opinion, any complete and original 91/30 for $120.00 delivered is a really good deal today.
Just got mine in today. Its a '43 Izhevsk, few minor scratches on the stock and in the shellac. The bore is good to very good however... it just happens to be an ex-sniper! Pretty excited about this purchase, and for a $126 ex-sniper!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts

AIM's description of this B grade rifle was spot on. A few gouges and scratches in the stock. All cosmetic. I don't know about yall but I like Molots packaging as a collector. Included with the "hunting rifle" is a manual with Izhevsk's serial number as well as Molot's serial number. The box even has the rifles Molot serial number on the outside. It makes me want to keep this package together along with AIM's packing slip with the rifles serial number on it. Anybody else feel this way?

Still can't believe my luck on this one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got a 6 pack. 5 out of 6 bores could be rated as very good. One of the bores is a little nasty looking but I haven't tried cleaning it yet, it may be fine under the crud. 1 out of the 6 stocks was pretty nice, 1 was in typical refurb condition. The other 4 were just as Classic described with some deep scratches and gouges. I think their story of the bayonets sliding around is accurate based on these stocks.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
My bayo was slid over the cleaning rod.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Classic said that when they originally received them that the bayonets were just loose in the box. I'm assuming that being Molots and for the same price that the AIM and Classic ones are from the same or pretty similar shipments.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got a 6 pack. 5 out of 6 bores could be rated as very good. One of the bores is a little nasty looking but I haven't tried cleaning it yet, it may be fine under the crud. 1 out of the 6 stocks was pretty nice, 1 was in typical refurb condition. The other 4 were just as Classic described with some deep scratches and gouges. I think their story of the bayonets sliding around is accurate based on these stocks.
What were the receiver dates? In the past when AIM had PW Arms imported $100 Mosins I bought 2 at 2 different times. (4 rifles) all 4 ended up being '43 Izhevsk's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well that's going to come down to whether or not the companies are picking through the rifles or if it's truly random luck like they claim with the grade B's. If you go to AIM and buy a regular Mosin it will be a round receiver Izhevsk. Because they charge extra for Tula, Hex, MO, etc which means they're all presorted. With the grade B's, AIM and Classic both claim to have not picked through them. My 6 from Classic were 1938-1943, 2 Tula, 4 Izhevsk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.