Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,315 Posts
Once you got 5 or 6 stacked in a corner or behind a door, nobody will notice if you add one at a time. Untill it gets too difficult to open the door that is :)
Brgds,
A

I have a lot of firearms of the same type. One day my wife mentioned to me, that she was not stupid and could not say which ones, but I had more guns that I had when I married her. Sometimes quantity gets out of control.

The thing to do is to make good trades - like two for one.

· Platinum Bullet member
5,061 Posts
Re: good trades, two for one... ?

I have a lot of firearms of the same type. One day my wife mentioned to me, that she was not stupid and could not say which ones, but I had more guns that I had when I married her. Sometimes quantity gets out of control.

The thing to do is to make good trades - like two for one.
Are you talking about the guns or your wife?

· Silver Bullet member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The MN's all look the same to her. Just like the pocketbooks and shoes do to me. Hey I wonder if she uses these tactics with shoes? She probaly parks 1/2 mi. down the road the other way.;)
Now I understand why I find a pocketbook tucked in with my tool pouches and an ocassional pair of pumps amongst my power tools. I have never took notice up till now. "spousal concealment of the female type"

· Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
LOL! Just great. Funniest thread I have read in a while...

tim

As the Mosin collection grows and closets and safes are overfull. I found myself having to get creative to conceall my additions from spousal detection. So the following Ideas I would care to share with my fellow collectors. "You can't see the forest because of the trees" Share your Thoughts and other ideas.

· Registered
574 Posts
As the Mosin collection grows and closets and safes are overfull. I found myself having to get creative to conceall my additions from spousal detection. So the following Ideas I would care to share with my fellow collectors. "You can't see the forest because of the trees" Share your Thoughts and other ideas.
Thats classic! You could find one of those old butter churns and replace the handle with a Mosin, it MIGHT fool the wife for a while :S

· Silver Bullet member
36,347 Posts
Why conceal them?

You can get her to accept them, it's easy and the reasoning is as follows:

A. Wives like to shop.

B. Shopping requires $Money.

C. Husbands like hobbies.

D. Hobbies require $Money.

E. Since B. conflicts with D. and A. trumps C. the only solution is to make the $Money part of D equal to Zero.

Make your collecting hobby self supporting or even profitable* and the wife problem is solved. It means reorienting your hobby a little from just collecting, to buying low, selling high and building a collection with the difference, but that's a fun challenge.

*Creative Enron/AIG/Lehman Brothers type accounting required. Forget anything but gross selling and acquisiton prices, ignore all expenses, time and effort.

· Diamond Bullet member
5,263 Posts
Aha!, I knew I was doing something wrong.

...snip ...
Make your collecting hobby self supporting or even profitable* and the wife problem is solved. It means reorienting your hobby a little from just collecting, to buying low, selling high and building a collection with the difference, but that's a fun challenge.

*Creative Enron/AIG/Lehman Brothers type accounting required. Forget anything but gross selling and acquisiton prices, ignore all expenses, time and effort.
I've only come out ahead in 2 of the 9 dispositions so far. Silly me, I was tracking shipping costs, transfer fees, sales tax, show entry costs, show parking costs and even purchase costs for money orders and such. The Enron accounting method is much more gratifying.

As a widower, I have no controlling authority, unless you count my teenage daughter who would insist I spend as much on her accessories as I spend on collecting if she only knew.

Unlike Gotula's creative home decor camouflage and the other creative solutions offered here, I just lock mine away in security cabinets in a closet. Out of sight, out of mind.

· Banned
40,069 Posts
There is an entirely different dynamic in our home since both my husband and I collect. We are both competitive and want to out do the other but we also combine our finances so we have to discuss such purchases. He has a hard time knowing if the reason behind me not thinking it's a good idea for him to buy a rifle is because it really isn't and we don't have the money or because I am jealous and want the rifle for myself. And it goes the other way too.

But the best part of it is since both of us collect rifles and neither of us collect shoes, our collections will almost always appreciate. :D

· Gold Bullet member
4,823 Posts
There is an entire different dynamic in our home since both my husband and I collect. We are both competitive and want to out do the other but we also combine our finances so we have to discuss such purchases. He has a hard time knowing if the reason behind me not thinking it's a good idea for him to buy a rifle is because it really isn't and we don't have the money or because I am jealous and want the rifle for myself. And it goes the other way too.

But the best part of it is since both of us collect rifles and neither of us collect shoes, our collections will almost always appreciate. :D

.....and where were YOU when I was looking for a life partner after my life saving divorce??? ;):D:D

· Registered
7,943 Posts
I don't hide them, I just keep track of their value and periodically send her a copy (in case my PC dies of course) then tell her when I die she gets to sell them for a profit. It's not a hobby, it's an investment...

· Registered
23 Posts
Way to funny guys.

Pity is over here in Australia we have to have our guns in secure gun safes if they aren't on their way out to "work".

Pity me finding a guy who isn't threatened by a chick who likes to play with big guns...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.