Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this discussed yet but maybe I missed it.

Whether to ID yourself as a CCW when being stopped in your vehicle is always a hotly debated issue. Now that AZ will soon have legal concealed carry without a CCW it's going to raise a whole bunch of new questions.

I have an AZ CCW. Have any of you AZ guys out there heard anything about what we're supposed to do if stopped by LEO after the new law goes into effect???

Ray

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I do not believe that anything changes for you folks.

The new law simply allows anyone who would otherwise qualify for a permit/license, to carry within the state as if they had a license.

No other bennies of the license such as other-state reciprocity.

Same restrictions on carrying as a licensee, disqualifying criminal and/or mental problem histories, age, etc, etc, etc. It's a license, without the fees, or the license itself. All the restrictions, none of the extra bennies, or expenses.

That's my understanding of it from discussions on it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ray the current CCW holders here in AZ are already are flagged buy the DPS computer when plates are run before the car is approached. In other words, officers at least have a heads up as to whether the cars registered owner has a CCW. Of course anyone could be driving, so the drivers CCW status is given when the DL is run. It is also not common knowledge that many Arizona 911 systems identify addresses where owners have CCW's or NFA. JH

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose it's going to be up to LEOs to figure this one out. If I'm stopped (only happened once) I handed my card over along with the registration and Insurance and the officer simply handed it back to me and didn't say another word. But I'm sure some will now automatically ask all drivers and passengers if they are carrying. It will probably make for some nervous encounters since the average guy has not taken the CCW course and learned how to behave (hands on wheel, etc) and I'm sure some drivers will give some smart-alec answers.

Ray

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I suppose it's going to be up to LEOs to figure this one out. If I'm stopped (only happened once) I handed my card over along with the registration and Insurance and the officer simply handed it back to me and didn't say another word. But I'm sure some will now automatically ask all drivers and passengers if they are carrying. It will probably make for some nervous encounters since the average guy has not taken the CCW course and learned how to behave (hands on wheel, etc) and I'm sure some drivers will give some smart-alec answers.

Ray
Ya really wish stupid crap like that wouldn't happen, but, reality dictates otherwise. :(

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just as a general reply (not AZ specific), I always let an officer know I have a CCW license, even if I don't have anything on me at the time. As stated above, it's in their system when they punch up my car tags anyway, so I see no reason to leave it out. Going over and above on a traffic stop goes a long way towards getting a warning instead of a ticket, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have mixed feelings over the new legal concealed law but it's been passed and we'll all have to deal with it.

I surely do not envy the PHX PD making a traffic stop. Picture a car with 5 adult males, and they all say they are armed. What to do? If it was me I'd probably say, "You can go. Have a nice trip".

Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
113 Posts
The new law simply allows anyone who would otherwise qualify for a permit/license, to carry within the state as if they had a license.
Not quite true. Without an Arizona CCW, you cannot carry into places that serve alcohol. With a Arizona CCW, you can got to your neighborhood pizza palor, as long as it's not marked no firearms.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are several other places that are CCW accessible as long as they are not signed. And, of course, the CCW allows me to safely carry in other States that have reciprocal agreements. I would bet that it won't be long before some AZ residents get busted for concealed carry in other States and use the AZ law as their alibi. Good luck to them.

Ray

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
There are several other places that are CCW accessible as long as they are not signed. And, of course, the CCW allows me to safely carry in other States that have reciprocal agreements. I would bet that it won't be long before some AZ residents get busted for concealed carry in other States and use the AZ law as their alibi. Good luck to them.

Ray
Yea, no kidding. (course, what're the odds that they'll try that in a state that doesn't accept Az's license too, just to add a further level of stupid to the situation. LOL)

Thx for the added clarification sgdg.
I seldom see Az, business took me there a few months ago, for a week, carried while there, checked for any particulars I ought to know of with an Az LEO friend I know of before I went there, just to be "head's up" and all. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
For those of us with AZ CCW's, it is business as usual, nothing has changed with respect to our rights and responsibilities therein.
Even if a LEO doesn't comment about a CCW when it is offered, I would think that the gesture is always silently appreciated.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I always heard never volunteer any information. Just answer the officer's questions.
And while that is not really bad advice, "offering" the fact that you do just happen to be a "pre-screened" "good citizen" who was just not watching his/her speedo quite closely enough, I cannot see as being the least bit "detrimental" to your "case" as the "stopped driver".

There is a reasonable point of "don't flap your gums", but then, there's an UN-reasonable point" of "I'm not saying anything".
Where's the middle at?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Instructors at CCW classes are divided over this. Some will tell you not to volunteer any information while others will tell you to advise the officer of your CCW, along with your DL, Ins, and Reg. A lot depends on the instructor's general feeling toward police and other authorities in general. And, of course, how you decide to handle the situation depends on your own personality. Me, I try to just get along.Years of experience have taught me that's the best way in the long run. My daddy always taught me to be nice to someone who (1)cooks your food, (2)gives you your paycheck, or (3)has a gun.

JMHO

Ray

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Seldom will you go wrong being nice to those 3 people. LOL

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,383 Posts
Instructors at CCW classes are divided over this. Some will tell you not to volunteer any information while others will tell you to advise the officer of your CCW, along with your DL, Ins, and Reg. A lot depends on the instructor's general feeling toward police and other authorities in general. And, of course, how you decide to handle the situation depends on your own personality. Me, I try to just get along.Years of experience have taught me that's the best way in the long run. My daddy always taught me to be nice to someone who (1)cooks your food, (2)gives you your paycheck, or (3)has a gun.

JMHO

Ray
I am not one to volunteer much infor, but if I had a weapon within reach (visble or not visible) I would mention that fact along with the fact that I had the CCW license. It pays to be polite .

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
If a police officer assumes someone is unarmed since he doesn't see a gun while in a traffic stop, he needs retraining. Criminals DO NOT apply for CCW's. An officer being polite does NOT conflict with being cautious.
I doubt any of us will have to worry about the new law as long as we have not committed a crime.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not Arizona but here in Mi we have to tell. That said, even if we did not, I would inform the officer. My reasoning is, if I am driving mu vehicle he will know when he runs the plates, if not he will know if he runs my DL. In either case, IF I do not tell him and he finds out, he is going to get hinky and nervous, more nervous than he may already be, thinking I am hiding something from him. It is human nature I believe to do so.

Nervous police officer is something I would jsut as soon avoid, especially since telling causes no harm if I am legal. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's like the wild west here in some parts of AZ. You have smugglers, drug runners, car jackings, illegals all over, its the kidnapping capital of the US and home invasion burglerys happen all the time. You would have to be crazy not to carry here. I open my glove box and set a j frame in easy reach (door to glove box always open) whenever I drive anywhere. When you get pulled over, it's hands out the window. The very first thing the officer always asks is if there are guns or drugs in the car.

A little common sense goes a long way though. Hands out the window goes a long way too. I'm always asked if I'm a con or in LE. I think it settles them a bit to be able to see hands as they approach.

It's also nice to see the state let any citizen able to purchase a gun carry concealed. It is a move in the right direction as far as the 2nd Ammendment goes I believe. I've looked at the other state laws and some of them are draconian.

Mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts