Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Diamond Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are 35 possible factory and series symbol and year date combinations for collectors to find over the 20 calendar years the Type 14 Nambu was produced (1926-1945). Seven combinations are found in the Chigusa factory series (Taisho 15 and Showa 2 through 7). There are nine combinations using the Tokyo/Kokura factory symbol (Showa 3 through 11). The Kokubunji factory produced two series: original series with nine combinations Showa 8 through 16; first series mark with four combinations Showa 16 through 19. The Toriimatsu factory also produced two series: first series mark with three combinations Showa 16 through 18; second series mark with three combinations Showa 18 through 20.

Over 279K Type 14s were produced in those 20 years using the various factory symbols in six separate number series. Over 40% of production occurred in the last three years (Showa 18-20) comprising just six of the 35 combinations. 14 of the 35 combinations each had less than 1% of total production (around 2.8K each) with less than 800 pistols produced in six of them (less than 200 in three of the six). Another six combinations each had less than 2% of total production (around 5.6K each). Those number examples all mean that finding some of the low-production combinations can be very difficult. To my knowledge, two Type 14 collectors have ever achieved the goal of acquiring an example from each of the 35 factory, series, and production year combinations.

All 35 possible Type 14 Nambu factory, series, and year date marking combinations are shown in the below images grouped by factory and series; Chigusa (Taisho 15 and Showa 2-7); Tokyo/Kokura (Showa 3-11); Kokubunji (original series Showa 8-16 and first series Showa 16-19); Toriimatsu (first series Showa 16-18 and second series Showa 18-20).
Air gun Wood Gun accessory Gun barrel Trigger

Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel Composite material

Font Wood Tool Auto part Metal

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Gold Bullet member
11,814 Posts
Beautiful collection! Well done!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,171 Posts
Always impressive Dan 👍

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Just super!!!

·
Diamond Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering how long did it take you to complete the collection?
My father and I started specializing in the T14 and other Japanese pistols in the mid-1970s. Until then, we were "gatherers" of anything Japanese militaria. After the Derby and Honeycutt pistol books were published in the early 1980s, we increased our efforts to acquire the pistol dates and production variations (including working to "bracket" all T14 marking and production changes by acquiring an example close to each side of a change - that quest is ongoing.) By around 1985, we had 34 of the 35 possible factory, series, and yearly date codes. It took quite a while for us to find and acquire that last needed pistol - close to 15 years. Waiting that long isn't unusual -- I know of two other T14 collectors who are currently stuck on 34 (and have been for several years) and need that last example to complete their quest.

·
Silver Bullet Member
191 Posts
Impressive summary of Type 14's for collector reference. Thanks for taking the effort to post this.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Impressive dedication over the long term; congrats on a fantastic collection!

Tom

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can hear my mother paraphrasing Shania Twain in my head, "So, you got a gun." Mom likes guns she just never understood the collecting side of the hobby. But when it comes to Holiday Barbies, she is your girl.

Super nice collection but you did not need me to tell you that. It just goes to show that you can never underestimate the capabilities of a determined person to get what he or she wants.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts