Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if someone has already posted this. I just found the recently-uploaded COMPLETE (!) Finnish miniseries "Talvisota" aka "The Winter War" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2-dPneoArk

265 minutes, 5 episodes in one file. Very good video quality. No English subtitles though.

This is the only time I have seen this readily available in any form. And I have been looking for a few years now.

For those who came in late there are two other versions commonly available:

A 1-DVD movie 125 minutes long and a 2-DVD set 191 minutes long. Both of which I have. Both have English subtitles but suffer from poor video quality. And I hate - actively HATE - mutilated versions of miniseries. All or none. No butchered shorties!

Now if someone will just find or make an English subtitle track (.SRT file) for the .MP4 Youtube file, life will be a lot better around here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhhhh, no.

I have the Amazon copy referenced above. It is a 2-dvd set but has over an hour cut out from the original miniseries. Furthermore the video quality is not very good. The Youtube version is complete as original and looks somewhat better, at least on my computer screen.

The Amazon copy wins in only one respect: It has English subtitles, whereas the Youtube version does not . . . yet.

Considering the level of its fan following, given time I suspect someone will craft an English subtitles file (.SRT file) for the 265-minute version. In the meantime the full-length miniseries is pretty cool!

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
not sure what version you used. But my dvd version 100x better than that you tube in speaking of video quality. The youtube looks like a VHS capture.

edit..

looked further in.. it looks comparable. Sadly i can't speak fluent Finnish let alone any.. so the enjoyablity without subtitles are neal for me any way. Thanks for the link though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just completed watching the total show. Although I do not understand Finnish, you can still follow the movie. This complete version really helped explain many of the issues which sort of didn't tie together in the shorter version of this movie.

Anyway, thank you for posting this link, I really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
MrNatural, thank you for that link.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Yes, thanks very much. I have watched it with subtitles enough that I could follow the story just fine in Finnish. somehow it was less distracting than reading the subtitles anyway...The first time I saw "das boot" was in a movie theater in Virginia Beach when it first came out. There were no subtitles and I don't speak German. at the time I was blown away. When it finally came out on video with English subtitles, I don't think it was as good. And the dubbed version - yuck.

At any rate, Talvisota is on my list of all-time greatest war movies.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I have been dowloading YouTube movies for nearly two years using ATubeCatcher freeware.

This downloaded file is too large to fit on a single disc (>7G) and so will be copied to a flash drive which can be plugged directly into my Samsung 55" TV.

Ah, technology. Wish I was smarter...

Anyway, wifey going a-visitin' next week so Movie Marathon is on the menu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This complete 265 min version has only been released in Finland, so that's why there are no subtitles.

There's a lot of new footage especially in the 4th episode (starting at 2:43:51). The Finnish soldiers become really frustrated after they are hit by friendly fire. "I just wanted to know what's so important about that bunker."

There's even a short romantic scene when one of the side characters meets a nurse at a military hospital.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,569 Posts
Yes, thanks very much. I have watched it with subtitles enough that I could follow the story just fine in Finnish. somehow it was less distracting than reading the subtitles anyway...The first time I saw "das boot" was in a movie theater in Virginia Beach when it first came out. There were no subtitles and I don't speak German. at the time I was blown away. When it finally came out on video with English subtitles, I don't think it was as good. And the dubbed version - yuck.

At any rate, Talvisota is on my list of all-time greatest war movies.
No English subtitles but I can tell you the war footage was very real. Hollywood should take some listens! Some SVT footage as well-- nice, actually it showed one of the Finn soldiers were manually cycling the svt for every next shot. Lots of pics of M28 and some close shots of stock on SK.y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2-dPneoArk

duplicate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts