Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
All mine really do well with Prvi 150gr SP, will put 5 under 1" at 100. Doesn't like the prvi FMJ or the 182gr

thats 225 meters with Prvi 150gr SP.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Unfortunately, this is just like any other ammo, in that you'll have to try it all out in YOUR rifle to see what it prefers. I've seen some guns that love 7N1, while others hate it. The same can be said for "Extra" match, etc. Commercial ammo will be no different. So, get ahold of whatever you can and test them all. I've seen some pretty nice groups shot with Brown Bear 174gr. "Match", so try that also, if you can find it. But, again, you just don't know until you try it. I handload pretty much exclusively, now. But, even with that, there is no one "magic" load. I've been lucky with some that work great in multiple rifles, but I can also find at least one rifle in my collection (usually more) that won't do very well with the same load and prefer something different (especially true when you get into overall lengths of the cartridge with a particular bullet, as the freebore varies so widely on most Mosins).

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Unfortunately, this is just like any other ammo, in that you'll have to try it all out in YOUR rifle to see what it prefers. I've seen some guns that love 7N1, while others hate it. The same can be said for "Extra" match, etc. Commercial ammo will be no different. So, get ahold of whatever you can and test them all. I've seen some pretty nice groups shot with Brown Bear 174gr. "Match", so try that also, if you can find it. But, again, you just don't know until you try it. I handload pretty much exclusively, now. But, even with that, there is no one "magic" load. I've been lucky with some that work great in multiple rifles, but I can also find at least one rifle in my collection (usually more) that won't do very well with the same load and prefer something different (especially true when you get into overall lengths of the cartridge with a particular bullet, as the freebore varies so widely on most Mosins).
this is very true, and he best advice. Get a few commercial brands and test them out.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I really like the Russian "LVE" headstamp light ball made in Novosibirsk. It comes in white boxes, sometimes sold by Wolf. It is the ammo the US buys for Afghan troops and I have gotten 7/16 inch 100 yeard three-shot groups from my 43 Tula PU with it. Non-corrosive as well -good for SVDs and SVT-40s if you can find it.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
I really like the Russian "LVE" headstamp light ball made in Novosibirsk. It comes in white boxes, sometimes sold by Wolf. It is the ammo the US buys for Afghan troops and I have gotten 7/16 inch 100 yeard three-shot groups from my 43 Tula PU with it. Non-corrosive as well -good for SVDs and SVT-40s if you can find it.
Ditto. I've had excellent results with this stuff in a variety of Mosin's, Finn M39's, and a PSL. It's clean burning and very consistent shot to shot. Outside of true match grade ammo of some kind I think you'd be hard pressed to find better ammo than the Novosibirsk LVE.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
In the discussion of what ammo shoots well right out of the factory box,
I had occasion to test a box of the Hornady match grade stuff at $27 per 20 rd
box. It shot poorly at 100 yds out of two Mosins...one a PU sniper and the other
a gun club members Bubba scoped rifle. Both rifles very accurate with other loads
but hated the Hornady stuff. I am sure others will chime in and say their rifle loves
the Hornady stuff.

Modern Factory ammo: No prediction what shoots best is my experience.

Now in regard to the Russian Extra, Match ammo sold OFF & ON..mostly OFF. I got a spam can
of it and it shot .264 inch at 100 yds out of my PU sniper and was horrible in another guys PU sniper.
He had another spam can lot of same ammo and was shooting 1 inch at 300 meters....you heard me
right...1 inch ! Guess who is my sniper team mate for this years Quantico match ??????? Yeah, this
young stud can shoot !!

Ammo: its a crap shoot on accuracy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In the discussion of what ammo shoots well right out of the factory box,
I had occasion to test a box of the Hornady match grade stuff at $27 per 20 rd
box. It shot poorly at 100 yds out of two Mosins...one a PU sniper and the other
a gun club members Bubba scoped rifle. Both rifles very accurate with other loads
but hated the Hornady stuff. I am sure others will chime in and say their rifle loves
the Hornady stuff.

Modern Factory ammo: No prediction what shoots best is my experience.

Now in regard to the Russian Extra, Match ammo sold OFF & ON..mostly OFF. I got a spam can
of it and it shot .264 inch at 100 yds out of my PU sniper and was horrible in another guys PU sniper.
He had another spam can lot of same ammo and was shooting 1 inch at 300 meters....you heard me
right...1 inch ! Guess who is my sniper team mate for this years Quantico match ??????? Yeah, this
young stud can shoot !!

Ammo: its a crap shoot on accuracy.
Thanks again skip! The 182grn Russian match does shoot well out of my 42 pu and pem. But there was a def difference between my match ammo and skips. I've had good luck with s&b 174grn in my m38. 1'@100. Haven't run any of that in my PUs or PEM yet. I'm going to try the PPU 182grn Match, not the regular 182, next. I'll try to post or PM you when I get the results.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,153 Posts
I agree with the posts above regarding it all being a crap shoot. "Bad" ammo is often just bad for the particular rifle that someone shot it with-same for "good" ammo. It's often more about a good match between the particular rifle and the particular ammo in question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.