Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,072 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this gun is really neat?
To each his own, bro! In me personally this gun evokes images of ugly Arab women, hiding behind burkas their covered with facial hair faces and mouths full of rotten teeth. Ugh...

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,551 Posts
I own and shoot two Gras rifles.
Both are still totally in military configuration.
Dies are expensive, but brass is easy to make from 348 Winchester brass.
.452 diameter cast lead bullets (I use 255 grain semi-wadcutters intended for a 45 long colt) shoot real accurate for me.
Gregg

·
Silver Bullet member
1,385 Posts
Gras rifles can be good shooters if they have not been messed with. My 1874s shoot well with soft .446 cast lead bullets, though the 1866/74 conversions seem to like a .45 bullet, or at least mine does, and others seem to report this too. What something from the Horn of Africa may now shoot is, of course, an open question.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
When I tested the Gras for the SGN years ago I was very impressed with it. It was lighter, better balanced and more accurate than the M.71 Mauser I also tested. FWIW I felt it was a better rifle than the M.71, the Martini, Trapdoor Springfield and Rolling Block.

·
Administrator
12,072 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the question of attractiveness addressing the "art" of the specific sample rather than the technical aspects of the gun?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David,
For what it worth, I thought they were neat enought to write an article on them for one of the early Gun Collector's Digests!
I still like them...
Jim
Do you remember which one? I know a guy who may have a copy, and Abebooks has several if he doesn't. Ordered a buttplate last night, just one triggerguard and three barrel bands to go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts