Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks!

I had a camoed helmet quite a while ago and sold it. Always regretted it. Picked this one up for a fairly reasonable sum. The pattern is definitely subdued and not the usual splinter style. Looks to be 3 or 4 colors. Late war? Fall Pattern? Liner is mostly intact and a bit dry. One ear pulled through. Wear and tear on the inside and outside look legit. TJ "Thiel & Sohn" Maker.

Any thoughts? Especially on the pattern.

Thanks!

- Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
Nice helmet Mike!

An excellent un-messed with camoed M16. While regulations specified the standard camo technique in various shapes with black separating lines, a percentage of helmets that were painted...or...repainted in the field strayed from the regulation pattern.

Based on the colors, which is hardly a guaranteed method of dating the paint job on a helmet, I would GUESS this to have been painted in the fall of 1918, not that it couldn't have been painted at any time after camo was introduced in 1918. Baer's book has the date that the general order to camo helmets was issued, but I'm not at home right now.

Nice find! Camo helmets are always nice and the prices have been climbing steadily.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks like the owner did not get a chance to paint the black lines for what ever reason. Maybe they were shelled at the time or they ran out of paint or brushes. Doesn't look like there was a third color, or is there? This scheme could be from the end of the war in the fall? On page 38 there is a helmet in Baers book that has the same redish color and darkish green minus any black lines.

Page 48 has the directive from :

Chief of the General Staff of the Field Army
II. No 91 366

7 July 1918

. . .
1. Steel Helmets
. . . The choice of colors is to be purposely changed according to time of year. One of three colors must match the basic color found in the region of fighting. Suitable at this time of year: green, yellow ochre, rust brown.

It goes on about the colors separated by the finger wide black lines, but there are examples in the book with no lines just like Mike's example. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John, George!

Thanks very much for your comments. I thought it looked pretty good, but the scheme is a bit different. George, you are correct on the number of colors..., I think. :) It's difficult to tell, even in the daylight. Probably because it has been repainted or touched up. There is a yellow-ochre blending into a rust-brown on the upper part, and it almost looks like faint black lines that blend into a blackish-green patch as you see on the front view.

Well, I'll try and hang onto this one!:cross

Best Regards! Mike

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
It's definitely worth hanging onto Mike.

Here is a M16 with spring/summer camo from my collection that also lacks the black separating lines. It's one of my favorites!

Thanks for sharing your new lid with us.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts