Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came up with an unusual revolver.
Open top, folding trigger, six shot.
But the 6 chambers are two different sizes.
3 will accept a 22 shot and possibly a 22 long.
The other three are smaller at the rear of the cylinder than a 22 and much smaller at the front.
Inside the 'small' chambers look like a drill/reamer was run about 1/2 way in, not really a bottle neck chamber.
Any idea what caliber the small cylinders are chambered for? Blanks or tear gas?
Also the barrel has a hole drilled in the top, starting on the outside and angling back towards the cylinder. Not sure if this was made this way or added later?
Interesting concept to have alternating blank/live rounds come up for firing, but I am not surprised it never caught on.
Any comments welcome. Will post a link in the .22 forum too.

EDIT-Just checked online under folding trigger 22 blank pistols and found several similar pistols but only two with the same grip design and all of them were described as solid barrel blank guns or .22 caliber-no combination cylinders mentioned in description but most did not have pictures to confirm all chambers the same size.
IMG_6780.JPG IMG_6781.JPG IMG_6782.JPG IMG_6783.JPG IMG_6784.JPG IMG_6785.JPG

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took it out yesterday and shot it.
Used Aguila CB caps with the long case and short bullet, similar to a 22 long.
Fit fired and ejected fine.
Not planning to try regular or Hi Speed shorts or longs unless I find out more about it.
Still no idea what the 3 small cylinders are chambered for.
Still not sure what the idea of alternating loads was.
Gary

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Took it out yesterday and shot it.
Used Aguila CB caps with the long case and short bullet, similar to a 22 long.
Fit fired and ejected fine.
Not planning to try regular or Hi Speed shorts or longs unless I find out more about it.
Still no idea what the 3 small cylinders are chambered for.
Still not sure what the idea of alternating loads was.
Gary
Don't think I would get any braver than that.
Am not familiar with this model specifically but would bet good money that it is made of iron (or a very low grade steel), it might not stand up to much more.
Is the barrel rifled?
Does it appear to be altered in any way, like the end of the barrel being bored out?
And the cylinder, was every other chamber bored to accept .22's?

Given the hole in the top, I would think it more of a blank gun than a tear gas discharger.
The tear gas would be very close to the shooter, not the best outcome I should think.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points. Not planning to test full power loads.
The barrel seems to be original but no rifling visible.
Yes, every other chamber is bored through for .22. The other three are the smaller diameter with the even smaller step about halfway through the cylinder.
Gary

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Good points. Not planning to test full power loads.
The barrel seems to be original but no rifling visible.
Yes, every other chamber is bored through for .22. The other three are the smaller diameter with the even smaller step about halfway through the cylinder.
Gary
Let me rephrase, does it appear to have originally been a blank firing pistol that someone altered to shoot standard .22's?
Might be the reason for alternate chambers being opened up.
It looks like if every one was enlarged the walls between the chambers would be too thin.
Another thing to look at is the firing pin.try to determine if it was altered in any way.
Is it wide enough to hit both the .22 rim and the rim of the smaller chamber?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Distance from the outside of the cylinder to all the chambers is the same. The offset difference is between the chambers and the axis pin.
If someone enlarged every other chamber they didn't just ream it larger. They would have had to ream each modified chamber offset towards the center of the cylinder to maintain the same distance from outside the cylinder to the outside edge of the enlarged chamber.
The chambers are nice and smooth, the empties drop out.
If the cylinder was modified it would have taken some fancy equipment. What would you need to enlarge a chamber off center to the original?

Since the barrel is not rifled it seems likely it was originally intended for blanks (may have been solid from the angled hole to the muzzle?). But brings back the question was it originally made for two different sizes of ammunition.

·
Copper Bullet member
8,949 Posts
Perhaps some kind of small production pistol trying to break into the "VeloDog" market, for use by early bicycle riders who were being chased by nippy dogs. First round some kind of blank to dissuade them, and a follow-up to enhance the message?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps or just an option for two different caliber blanks?
You are probably the person to ask, what blanks were available that were small in diameter than a standard 22?
At least 3 of the chambers were originally for a smaller caliber round.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,793 Posts
I would also guess a blank pistol modified into a .22 firing one. That hole drilled through the barrel makes no sense to me though. Some type of bubba muzzle brake?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts