Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A good while back I was looking to trade in my Taurus 357 snubbie for a long-barreled/good sights/six-shot wheelgun. A number of other projects (gun or otherwise) got in the road, but now I'm looking again.

I've seen a number of revolvers that look like they fit the bill called Comanche. Honestly, I don't know a lot about them and am looking for any insight. The are a decent amount cheaper than a S&W or Dan Wesson, but are in the neighborhood of the Taurus. Being that I am familiar with the latter, I think I'll stick with them unless there is a reason not to.

Any thoughts, etc. would be of interest. Thanks.

EDIT: I did more googling after posting and, man, most of these reviews are negative. Are the current Comanche revolvers the same ones made by Llama back in the 80s?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Comanche

No expert on anything here. Remember some being sold a while back ( 10 years ??) as a snubnosed .44 Magnum. I believe they are Spanish made, and a few magazines did a write up on them. A formidable handgun.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think LLama made the Commanche revolvers. If I remember reviews were generally mixed from very good to poor. The more that I think on it, the more I seem to remember there were two different foreign companies that made Comanche revolvers, but Llama is the only one I can remember.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
I think LLama made the Commanche revolvers. If I remember reviews were generally mixed from very good to poor. The more that I think on it, the more I seem to remember there were two different foreign companies that made Comanche revolvers, but Llama is the only one I can remember.
Llama made the Commanche, or at least the original as far as I know, and years ago it was a good revolver on a very heavy frame made in both 44 and 357Mag. I believe it is Spanish manufacture and they also made semi-auto pistols. I would not hesitate to purchase a good conditioned Llama. About five years ago a friend of mine asked me to reblue a Llama 45ACP that was his dad's as it had some water damage. I did and asked him if he wanted to sell it. He said no. Would have bought it for a good price.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The Comanche revolvers now coming out of Argentina aren't not the same as the Comanche that Llama used to make. I always found Llama to vary in their quality from decent to junk. The Argentine Comanche is a rough made revolver. Personally I'd spend a little more money for a better made product.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My understanding, as earlier stated, is that earlier Comanches were made by Gabilando (Llama) and the current batch are made in Argentina. For what it's worth, I believe Gabilando is out of business.

I would guess the Comanches of either generation could have problems with factory service, spare parts, etc. just because they aren't all that widely distributed. But I might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the posts. Considering the the unknowns, I think I'll stick with a Taurus or another brand. The savings difference isn't all that big of a deal either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts