Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two firearms I’m looking to buy from a estate. One is a colt .38 special snub nose and is said to be from the 50’s to 60’s. I would like to know the model of this firearm and what would be a fair offer for the estate and myself. The second gun is a old savage model 6 .22 short/long/long rifle. What should I offer for each and the pair. Thanks in advance and everyone on here has been beyond nice and a huge help. So I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me and educating me at the same time. God bless and here is the few photos I have. I’m trying to get more pictures from the company that’s in control of the estate.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
From the images provided, I don't believe the condition of those two firearms will support the above estimate. Maybe in 100% with boxs, yes. Condition is everything when it comes to old Colts of any flavor, certainly if they are snakes.
Do some quick searching and SFY.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,442 Posts
Please give us the stamp on the left side of the barrel on the Colt. It could have no stamp at all, but it should say . 38 Special, .38 Detective/Special, or Detective Spec./.38 Special Ctg. It makes a big difference on value. And if it has a flaming bomb on the left upper frame, then all bets are off.
The gun could be worth $300 to $5,000. Need more info. A serial number would also be divinely helpful. Thanks

The Savage is a $125 to $175 gun to be safe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
53,385 Posts
go here

in case that link does not work, google colt customer service, (colt's website) and use the drop down for serial number

key the serial number in,
that will tell you the year made (Colt Detective likely) so you can figure out what model or variation it is,

detectives , generally, bring a bit more than a Smith Jframe,

and Martin08 is correct on the rifle

·
18,442 Posts
It says .38 police special and serial is 61427
Are you sure there is not a digit missing from the serial? All serial number for DA medium frame revolvers from the 61k range would put the manufacture around 1912.

From the one vantage point view (right side), it looks all the world like a second issue Detective Special. Not sure how it would get .38 Police Special on the barrel? A second issue Detective Special could have a serial number in the 600k range, and it would be a mid 1950's build. Blue book says 80% at $550, 90% at $800.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
53,385 Posts
Are you sure there is not a digit missing from the serial? All serial number for DA medium frame revolvers from the 61k range would put the manufacture around 1912.

From the one vantage point view (right side), it looks all the world like a second issue Detective Special. Not sure how it would get .38 Police Special on the barrel? A second issue Detective Special could have a serial number in the 600k range, and it would be a mid 1950's build. Blue book says 80% at $550, 90% at $800.

was wondering the same, when I plugged that serial in it was no option for the detective

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me make sure real quick. I have the number of the person that’s in charge of the estate and that’s what they sent me. Let me double check and I’ll get back with you. And I appreciate your time on helping me make my decision and pull the trigger or not on this. God bless.

·
18,442 Posts
That is 61,427.

I've got nothing from here!

Show us all the markings, please. Especially any copyright dates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t have the gun physically in front of me. I’m having the estate send me pictures as I ask for them. I’ll have to wait until the morning to get any more marking’s, but I’m going to tell them to send me any marking on the gun period. Along with a couple other pictures of the gun itself. Thanks for the help.

·
18,442 Posts
Got it. It is from the serial number range of the Cobra, Aircrewman, Courier and Agent. The full serial is read as 61427LW and it was built in 1957. Frame is aluminum

So, this is a first issue Cobra. Barrel marking bothers me. Should say COBRA... um... I think!!!!

Here is a link to the serial number lookup

Serial Number Data

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so do you think the barrel was replaced? I’ve heard of this before and I have to get more pictures. And What would it be worth if it was an original cobra? When I looked it up on the colt website it said it was a cobra based on serial #.

·
Silver Bullet member
50,140 Posts
looks too good to just replace a barrel unless it didn't suit the owner for some reason?
no carry ware i can tell in photo>
leads me to believe it barrel was change for carry why wasn't it?<><Dan
more photos will solve much!

·
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I suspect this is a Colt Agent based on the serial number.
The other aluminum framed Colt of the time was the Colt Cobra.
After WWII Colt made the steel framed Detective Special and aluminum framed Cobra. Up until 1966 these had the original full profile grip frame, but the Agent had a "stubby" grip frame.

After 1966 Colt changed all their small "D" frame revolvers to use the stubby grip frame, and fitted the guns with wood grips that overlapped on the bottom of the grip frame to give a full size grip.
The Agent retained the shorter wood grips.

The aluminum Cobra and Agent had "LW" stamped with the serial number to indicate an aluminum frame.

The barrel should be marked with the name of the revolver model and below that the caliber.
There's no such Colt model known as a "Police Special".
There is a Colt Police Positive Special that was made from the early 1920's into the 1980's but those had 4, 5, or 6 inch barrels and were steel guns.
Many people used to call Colt's snub nose models "Cop guns" because just about every cop owned one, and some call them "Police Specials" never mind what's stamped on the barrel.

The front sight on this revolver is a post-war ramp type sight so the model name should be there.

Here's the difference in grip frames. If it's an aluminum short frame revolver and was made in 1957 it's an Agent.

Short - long D frame..jpg

Here's the difference between the Cobra and Agent.
Note the Cobra has a either the original long grip frame or long grips that overlap on he bottom.

Cobra 2 inch.jpg

Here's the Agent. Note the shorter grip frame and the more squared butt grip shape.
Agent.jpg

So, based on the original pictures above, I'd say the gun is a Colt Agent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts