Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this gun many years ago. It is a center fire converted to 22RF. It has a 5 1/2 in barrel with adjustable rear sight for windage. The serial is 259XXX and the barrel is marked The Anderson Gunsmiths. The condition is very good action is wounderful. Does anyone know something about this? Is this worth leaving the way it is? I was thinking about changing it back to center fire. Thanks to all if you can help me.

Biff

·
Registered
135 Posts
This sounds interesting, and a pretty old gun. I would leave it as is since it seems to be of good workmanship, and rather unique.
The adjustable sights were probably added through machining and, as a Colt, the gun lost its value then; but as a shooter, it might not have any value to you now.

Could you post pictures or explain how it was done? Are the chambers straight? Any insert there? Is the bore centered in the barrel (I suspect it was easier to modify the hammer but who knows?).

Thanks in advance.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
Sounds very interesting. Would leave it alone, myself. What sort of accuracy does it exhibit?

The 259xxx S/N looks like 1904 production on my S/N list

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will take a while for pictures. I am pushing 69 and I've lost most of the use of my left side. This is why I'm not very good with single actions any more. I can shoot but shucking shells and reloading aren't very fast. The sight seems to use the existing channel for two small screws to hold adjustable sight in place. The cylinder seems to be made for this gun in rim fire. The barrel is the same not sleeved. Gripes are standard Colt type in a plastic of some sort. Accuracy is on a par with any other rim fire single action.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Years ago { and I mean years ago } there was a gun smith who converted Colt SSA to .22. Very labor intensive and a lot of parts had to be modified. It would be impractical to try and convert it back. I don't remember the name but I know it was written up in both American Rifleman and Gun Digest. This was prior to the Hawes, Rugers and so forth so it would have been the mid 50's.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,655 Posts
Many years ago, Christy Gun Works of Sacramento Calif had 22 rim fire barrels and cylinders for the Colt 1873 SA. At one time they even had 22 Hornet cylinders besides cylinders in the regular calibers for the Colt SA

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i see this is old thread but what the heck - my 2 cents leave it as is , mine is in the center here , started life as a 38wcf [38-40] and without markings to the contrary i think maybe factory done , full size single action in 22cal , not easy to see the size difference between this and the frontier scout above it in the photo but it is readily seen in person , and recognizable in the hand , about as heavy as the new ruger vaqueros in 45colt [i have one of those as well ,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts