Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 32 cal 4 inch barrel and am trying to determine its age and approximate value. It has the rearing horse encircled by the words "Colt's New Police" above the grip, the words "Colt's Pat. Fire Arms Mfg. Co., Hartford, Conn.
U.S.A., PAT'D August 5, 1884 June 5, 1900" on top of the barrel. Then, just below that is "COLT D A 32".

I can find no other incriptions such as serialnumber or officer badge number.

Would appreciate any help given to find out more about this pistol.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,730 Posts
Look on the frame with the clinder open and on the inside surface of the crane as well as on the bottom of the grip frame. Should find some numbers.

Colt New Police .32 Double Action model was introduced c.1896 and available in .32 Colt, .32 colt new Police, and .32 S&W. Should have patent dates of 1882 and 1888. S/N range is 1-49,500, and production was through 1907. Should have checkered hard rubber grips with COLT oval motif. NYCPD bought around 4500, while Theodore Roosevelt was commissisoner. They are marked New York Police on the backstraps.

My references all indicate last patent date should be November 6, 1888. Other than that and the lack of serials, the gun looks correct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts