Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like colts so when I saw this I picked it up for 450.00,used but like new,blued/black finish.80 series.I know you can buy the newer mustangs for 500.00-600.00 NIB,but I like this one better!Just one mag and no box,are these reliable for carry use?When was this made any idea?

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,606 Posts
I like colts so when I saw this I picked it up for 450.00,used but like new,blued/black finish.80 series.I know you can buy the newer mustangs for 500.00-600.00 NIB,but I like this one better!Just one mag and no box,are these reliable for carry use?When was this made any idea?
My DOM booklet looks like 1985 or 1986, but th serialization is sort of screwy IMO, so am not sure. But it doesn't appear the RC prefix was used after 1986.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks tom and Clyde I appreciate it!Wow over 30 years old, the owner sure didn't shoot it much,looks about unfired.Probably a dresser drawer home defense gun,sure wasn't a range shooter.Cant figure what happened to the box and extra mag ,keeping a gun this nice and not keeping the box seems strange.Its almost too nice to shoot,maybe I should stick it in the safe and keep it nice,do these have any collector value?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,090 Posts
Thanks guys!Damn, over 20 years old, the owner sure didn't shoot it much,looks about unfired.Probably a dresser drawer home defense gun,sure wasn't a range shooter.Cant figure what happened to the box and extra mag ,keeping a gun this nice and not keeping the box seems strange.Its almost too nice to shoot,maybe I should stick it in the safe and keep it nice,do these have any collector value?
value tends to be high when you have the box and paperwork (sold several in the past couple years at almost double what you can get that one for)

450 is a buy it price, as in do it

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Buy it, yes.

Believe it it or not, that's nearly a 50% discount off what that firearm would cost in my area. MA sucks for non-C&R Colts, but that's still a screaming deal anyplace.

It's a nice gun, very well-reviewed. I was craving one for years, then I gave up and went with a p238. $450 is even a buy-it-now price for one of those, too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nothing wrong with that gun, either functionally or as a collector's item. It's just a case of too little too late. It's heavier than a J-frame airweight and the new lightweight pocket 9's started appearing not too long after Colt started production. The price is good though.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!Its mine,I don't care for the airweights rather have a steel one,dont think these will get any cheaper as they haven't been made for quite a few years,the grip I believe is a little longer than the Mustang,which I like.Everyone has a their preference ,to each his own!Probably never find another MK/IV for 450.00 at least in this cond.,better hang on to it.I found one like it is worse cond. on Gunbroker RR suffix,starting bid is 599.00 with 6 days left ,wow,good luck to the seller,will be interesting to see if it gets bid on.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,184 Posts
I have one the stainless looking one...very accurate, handy church gun ...
two sets of grips one extended clip...looks new still ..
Paid $600 about 5 or more years ago...?

Out shot a 45 Essex frame 1911 colt upper....sold....

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would like to have a stainless ,they would sell for more than a blued one,sounds like you did fine.My brother has a nickle plated one bought new years ago,beautiful gun,he put ivory Colt logo grips on it,sure is pretty,dont think very many of those were made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.