Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been pondering for years...:what 22 pistols do I want? And what I had over all my years has satified my needs, wants, wishes!
Which lead me to two wants...another 41 22 SW...THE 5 one over the years.
An a Colt match I've never owned...
All to go along with my browning FN medalist last of two Ive had.
And my trophy....with many barrels.

Bluefield Wva gun knife show has all ways brings in the few "ringers" estate pick ups, and the regular flea hoppers trading in many rust colors and new paint!

I took my new bought woodsman last gunshow buy ...and Kimber 22 Hunter that I just didn't take the time to love, or sadly shoot had it 6 or more years?

As I get older I realize time is shorter...and pistols sale... easy to carry....
not so with rifles, age and balance, and weaker legs a coming.

Been increasingly reducing the thoughts on rifle buys...to reducing them into pistols packing future sales as I get older.
Now to the new gun.: Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Airsoft gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory
A) think it's..... from 1950's (plastic grips that I don't care for...but.)
B) if you can now tell me if this is a 2nd of 3 model and year?
C) average value at 96% or there about?

traded Kimber 22 Hunter new like...and $150.
not having but $500 in trade for the $1,110 valued Kimber .....

i feel I'm ok money into this new 22 .... didn't make all the "return on the rifle I could have?"

But thats trading:

"collecting possibilities" vs "actual money"
your always keeping in mind the "spread" again in your favor through out each resale, trade...
collections are not built solely hopely on "possible values" as some of you may agree or disagree?
but actual end of the money out of pocket used over life time.

D)....like to hear thoughts on all this too?

Ps: got new Kimber 45 too....traded the woodsman below and $240.
having only $200 in trade in this now sold woodsman in about 95% condition....
makes $440 in the new custom 2 cal in 45. Seam so low...
Revolver Tool Trigger
Flute Technology Musical instrument Electronic device Tin whistle
Gun Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

·
Registered
207 Posts
It took me 40 years to get my dream .22 41 S&W. I already had a Colt Woodsman so it was hard to justify picking up model 41 until just the right one came up at the right price. It needs some work to match the Woodsman but I am sure it will when I am done. I love them both. The 41 gets more attention at the range until I start shooting the Woodsman. I just wish I had got the 41 many years ago when I could still shoot.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
Go to Colt website, customer service tab and you can put in the serial number and get a made on date

If I am reading that number right, 1942.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Your Model S is a 3rd series with 2nd series brown plastic grips. Note cutout for the 2nd series magazine release on the right side grip panel. Yours should have the black plastic grips that were probably changed out when it was a young gun. Can't find Rayburn's booklet right now but I would say 55 or 56. Is the left side barrel flute ok or just washed out looking from the lighting? The black grips are butt ugly and warped real easily.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you experts see the photos, marks?

Fluted...both sides....high rider..
Are the photos enought to see the trigger guard maker marks?

And the SN? 1942 still?

What would you think of its general value....still needing black or wood grips?

Anybody home?....
Was wanting more info to add to tidbits...you gave me that enlightened me.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is the crue?
You guys were really helping me in an area unknown to me but the guns exclent repertation.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I have a lettered M/T 189661-S, black grips, 6" like yours, in the box with all papers, target, screwdriver etc., mfg 1959. Won't take 2500 for it but it is nib condition. Black grips 1955 to 1960+-. I would say you need black ones to be right. I might have a pair to trade. Will check.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Trade well that would be great ...we could help each other...
My grips are perfect in condition....man I hope you can make this happen.
Would I be able to get a photo copy of instructions an contents of your materials that came with your?
I've never took this apart to clean cause it's a new skill needing researched.

High rider you spot on to my needs. Thank you my friend
><> God bless <>< Daniel

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought several .22 pistols years ago. A 4 1/2" MT, a 6' MT, a Browning Challenger and a S&W 41. Tried them all and the Colt Match Target 6" was the only one I kept. Very accurate. I swear sometimes it has built in radar. Mine was made in '69 and has wood grips.

My MT has a safety issue. Not sure if it's just my gun or all of them. Pull the slide back and insert a round, then put the safety on. Insert a full clip of 10 rounds. The gun now has 11 rounds in it. It was only designed to have 10. When you hit the safety button the gun fires. Just the safety fires it without touching the trigger. Needless to say, I only put 10 rounds in it. Gary

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
AT-Just got done trying the 10+1 trick in 4 different 3rd series Woodsman pistols. A Match Target, a Woodsman Target, a Sport, and a Targetsman. No AD event when safety was disengaged in any of the guns tried. Only problem was getting the tenth round into the magazines. Also, I've never heard of this event being an issue with the Model-S production. But that means nothing cuz I live in the woods surrounded by trees with owls in them. Just a pesants observation of a possible unsafe condition.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
AT-Just got done trying the 10+1 trick in 4 different 3rd series Woodsman pistols. A Match Target, a Woodsman Target, a Sport, and a Targetsman. No AD event when safety was disengaged in any of the guns tried. Only problem was getting the tenth round into the magazines. Also, I've never heard of this event being an issue with the Model-S production. But that means nothing cuz I live in the woods surrounded by trees with owls in them. Just a pesants observation of a possible unsafe condition.
I'll have to try that in my Woodsman. I'll let you know...............

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for checking your guns. It must be something wrong with my pistol. Glad they're all not like that! It's not an issue if only put 10 in it. It sure was a surprise the first time I did it. I put a slug in the wall of my basement target range. Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.