Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with its older sibling the COLT M1903-left , and younger cousin S&W M1917-right ,

my accoutraments are not the high value 'unissued' ones some are fortunate to have but i like having a little vintage kit for each , i dont have a photo of the M1903 bits , but here is my M1909 & M1917 kit

·
Platinum Bullet Member
937 Posts
Very nice!!!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

That must be the 1942 holster in the last shot.

Cass

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I've never figured out why the US Army was so taken with the Colt New Service when the S&W .45 Hand Ejector was such a superior revolver? You only have to handle and fire both side by side to see what I mean.

This continued right down to the end of WW2 during which the army gave away S&W M1917s as military aid while keeping the Colt M1917s for issue to their own troops.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is no doubt the S&W is better finsihed but I think the Colts have a more military appearance myself. They are heavier and a they function well. Here is a picture of my 1909 with shooting master grips not correct to the gun and a 1899 Krag carbine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's always nice to see Colt Model 1909 revolvers. They are not often in as nice condition as yours. The Model 1909 came with a better finish than is commonly encountered on the Model 1917.

Here's my Model 1909 (top) shown with its old army buddy Model 1917 (bottom).

Here it is with its midget Colt stablemate, a New Pocket.

·
Platinum Bullet member
677 Posts
Very nice collection . I love those classic wheelguns :cool:

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I've never figured out why the US Army was so taken with the Colt New Service when the S&W .45 Hand Ejector was such a superior revolver? You only have to handle and fire both side by side to see what I mean.

I have to disagree, I prefer the Colt, it has a simpler action and is more robustly built, Much like the difference between a Ford 3/4 ton pick up and a Chevy 3/4 ton, but then there are people who drive Chevys, so different strokes for different folks:)
Best wishes
Gus
ps as a side note, I currently ride in my wife's Chevy pick up from time to time, but that is becuse our local Ford dealer is one of the worst dealers in the country, I used to have a bumpersticker on my Ford that said Ï would rather push a Ford than dirve a Chevy" but now I need a new bumper sticker that says "I would rather ride in a Chevy than be cheated by Goode Motors again"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts