Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this .38 Long Colt M1892 Colt A&N at the flea market yesterday. I gave $200.00 for it.

I figure that is about all it's worth because it has been through several rebuilds and what looks like a final civilian reblue. It's still tight with a decent bore.

I figure it's last honest rebuild occurred in 1916 or so as it has the L.E.B. rebuild mark on it. It's frame rebuild number matched the number scribed on the replacement hard rubber grips and the grips were initialed and dated 1916.

I guess it was surplussed off where it got a reblue somewhere along the line.

The odd thing is all the serial numbers and the martial markings (It's still R.A.C. marked) except the non-matching cylinder and the frame were scrubbed. No serial on the latch, under the barrel, the heel, or the crane.

It has a four digit (9225 with a 7F above it) frame serial. The roll mark patent dates are 1884, '88, and '95 so I take it that it was made sometime after 1895. I guess it's a M1901.

The heel of the left grip was missing so I built a dam around the area with blue masking tape and filled it with J.B. Weld then shaped it to fit when it dried. I then painted the repair.

Yeah you can tell it was repaired but I was not really bothered about finding another set of grips for it. I've repaired many a hard rubber grip and butt plate that way and I've never had a repair give-up on me.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model Colt, yet I suspect this model Colt may not be within the purview of this Military Handgun Forum. So just the suggestion that if you don't achieve sufficient responses here, you may wish to consider posting in the Modern Handgun forum; such despite the lack of 'modernity' of your gun. There is also a Colt specific forum Website at the below address.
Just a thought.
iskra

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model Colt, yet I suspect this model Colt may not be within the purview of this Military Handgun Forum. So just the suggestion that if you don't achieve sufficient responses here, you may wish to consider posting in the Modern Handgun forum; such despite the lack of 'modernity' of your gun. There is also a Colt specific forum Website at the below address.
Just a thought.
iskra

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php
With an R.A.C. (Rinaldo A. Carr) acceptance stamp and the L.E.B. rebuild acceptance mark - yes, it is a GI gun and properly here, even though it has suffered indignities since it left the service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts