Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I posted this before late last year, but I cannot seem to remember where I stored the original post, which drives me nuts, but oh well. I finally have some cash to buy a USGI Colt m16a1 parts kit (like the ones seen everywhere online). Any suggestions on where to get a 20" pencil barrel. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Make sure you do not put M16 full-auto parts in the gun you are building. The BATFE is very particular about calling a semi-auto rifle a machine gun if it has parts from a genuine M16. It doesn't have to fire full auto. Just as long as it has M16 parts inside, it classed as a machine gun. Best stay on the good side of the BATFE.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure you do not put M16 full-auto parts in the gun you are building. The BATFE is very particular about calling a semi-auto rifle a machine gun if it has parts from a genuine M16. It doesn't have to fire full auto. Just as long as it has M16 parts inside, it classed as a machine gun. Best stay on the good side of the BATFE.
To clarify, it is perfectly ok to use M16 parts so long as you first modify them to AR-15 specs. This is from the BATF handbook, appendix B:

"In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt
carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have
been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled
with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1
type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15
Model SP1 configuration."

http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

People got in trouble in the past because they didn't understand how the rifle works and they just assumed that it wasn't capable of automatic fire if there was no auto-sear. If you use an M16 disconnector with the M16 selector without modifying them then you could technically end up with a machine-gun. If you modify the parts first then they become identical to AR-15 parts. In fact, there are loads of AR-15's out there that were built with modified M-16 parts back when they were commonly available.

It is also advisable to modify the parts before you purchase your lower because simply owning the parts and owning a lower at the same time could be construed as intent.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do you update a m16 bolt carrier to an ar 15 bolt carrier? what is the difference between the two?

·
Registered
376 Posts
how do you update a m16 bolt carrier to an ar 15 bolt carrier? what is the difference between the two?
You don't really need to worry about the bolt carrier, the BATFE allows them now and a number of manufacturers use them because they provide greater reliability, particularly in carbines. If you buy an AR15 with a carbine length barrel the odds are pretty high that you have an M16 bolt carrier. The BATFE simply hasn't updated the language in their handbook to reflect it. This issue has been discussed a lot on the net. This is a good thread because you can read the letters from the BATFE:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=285023

The only difference between the bolt carrier groups is that the bottom of the AR15 bcg has an area milled away so that it couldn't trip the auto sear if it was installed in an M16. This makes the M16 bcg slightly heavier, which is why it is now preferred by manufacturers. Since an AR-15 doesn't have an auto sear the M16 bcg can't actually do anything differently than an AR15 bcg when installed in an AR15.

The parts to worry about are the disconnector, hammer, selector switch and trigger. Technically, the modification to the disconnector is the most important because doing that alone will prevent full auto fire. The other parts should also be modified just for the legalities. The mod to the selector lever removes the tab that engages the tab on the M16 disconnector. The hammer mod only removes the tab that would engage the auto sear if there was one, and the trigger mod only prevents the installation of an M16 disconnector. All of them can be done with a grinding wheel or a dremel tool except for the trigger mod which requires welding up the slot at the rear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.