Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Wood and steel!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Recently came into possession of a Colt Commando revolver, and was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with Colt historians and what the process was like for obtaining one of those letters saying when it was made and who it was sold too?

While these revolvers aren't the most popular and well known firearms of the WW2 era, they're still an interesting foot note that saw pretty widespread use.

I highly doubt mine was SOE or OSS purchased, but there was a lot of security companies and other police organizations during the war that used them, and it would be cool to know where it went.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
Wood and steel!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, it was a "LAW PI 161" stamped on it, does anyone know what this means? I did a google search and most topics with that included this questions aren't addressed, or they are from forums that are long dead.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,831 Posts
re the letters,

last ones we ordered were pre Cooties, and not sure how much they may or may not be backed up, or even working,

you will get a nice letterhead, with whatever info they can find,

may be a somewhat detailed letter on revolver specifics and where it was shipped,

or just a few lines,

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
To get a Colt Archive letter see this on the Colt site.......

If you want to spend more money you can get an expedited letter.
In fact, it's most likely the letter will show Colt shipped it to a government receiving site, which will be of little interest.

The stamps are not Colt factory.
Very often WWII government purchase revolvers were given to other agencies after the war, and may have been used by any number of agencies, all of who may have added stamps.

One way to check for originality is to remove the side plate and check the serial number stamped inside.
Learn how to do this so you don't dink up the plate of the frame.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Howdy!

Recently came into possession of a Colt Commando revolver, and was wondering if anyone had any experience dealing with Colt historians and what the process was like for obtaining one of those letters saying when it was made and who it was sold too?

While these revolvers aren't the most popular and well known firearms of the WW2 era, they're still an interesting foot note that saw pretty widespread use.

I highly doubt mine was SOE or OSS purchased, but there was a lot of security companies and other police organizations during the war that used them, and it would be cool to know where it went.

Appreciate the help!
I came across the 2" barrel 8-10 yrs ago, still looking for a 4". I use to but have forgotten the history of these guns for the most part.

·
Registered
Wood and steel!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all the help guys, thanks!

To get a Colt Archive letter see this on the Colt site.......

If you want to spend more money you can get an expedited letter.
In fact, it's most likely the letter will show Colt shipped it to a government receiving site, which will be of little interest.

The stamps are not Colt factory.
Very often WWII government purchase revolvers were given to other agencies after the war, and may have been used by any number of agencies, all of who may have added stamps.

One way to check for originality is to remove the side plate and check the serial number stamped inside.
Learn how to do this so you don't dink up the plate of the frame.
Appreciate the advice. My shop has a revolver smith I plan on taking it to just to make sure the timing is correct on all cylinder, I will ask him to do this as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought my Colt revolver production table would help, but I was wrong. All it says about the Commando is that it was serial numbered separately from the Official Police, a version of which the Commando is, and that SN 1 was made in 1942 and SN 50,617, the last one, was made in 1943.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.