Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what this pistol is, but a Colt .41 my son recently was gifted and is asking me what he has. I have pics he sent me on my cell, but have no more idea than a rabbit would have to transfer to the forum.

Serial number is 167398 and patent date is 10 Sep 1871, but there are also dates of 2 Jul 72 and Jan 1975 below the first date. Story he was told , it was carried by a Texas Ranger.

With that and a dollar plus, you can get a coffee at your convenience store :).

If this post is not in the correct forum, monitors, please advise.

Any info from the forum members would be appreciated.

Swabby

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
He might want to check the chambers in the cylinder to see if they are straight. The .41 long Colt & .38 WCF (38/40) are the same bore size (marked 401 on the barrel under the base pin head).If the chambers look to have two slight lines it takes the 38/40 which is a slight bottle neck cartridge. The Colt .41 ammo wasn't as readily available in rural stores so many of these had the cylinder switched out. The only difference between a Colt .41 & a Colt in 38 WCF is the cylinder and caliber marking on the side of the barrel. The serial number of this gun puts it pretty closed to a manufacturing date of the late 1890s. It might be an antique but it would take a factory letter to know for sure. As far as being a Texas Ranger gun, I have no idea how you would document that or if it's even possible. They bought their guns on the open market.
Dan

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,673 Posts
Pretty hard to ID a gun as having been a Ranger arm unless it comes with provenance. They were not, historically, provided by the State (the Republic of Texas did acquire some Patersons back around 1840 - and apparently didn't pay, a factor in the financial failure of The Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company of Paterson, N.J. - for the RoT Navy, later issued to the Rangers) as scandiknivars mentions. That said, .41 Long Colt could be a candidate for an old-time law dog (including a Ranger) as it had a rep as a good stopper.

.41 LC ammo is pretty much a custom business (I think GAD lists it), and it comes in two variants. Originally it was loaded with a .410" bullet and bore and used a heeled bullet (like a modern .22LR). Later it went to an inside lubed bullet and was .386", with later Colt DA revolvers having the smaller bore. Can be a little complicated...

And led to a reputation for poor accuracy, as older guns with a .410" bore performed very poorly with the later .386" bullets.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have one in 38/40 in about the same condition but the bore was taken care of. I inherited it when I was 12. The last time I checked mine was worth about $600-650.
Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn it. Always forget something. Hope I'm not coming down with what my mother died from.

I asked him to use several patches sopping with gun solvent and soak it and leave it for a while, then use a .40 caliber brass brush to scrub the bore out. Repeat as necessary until he gets a somewhat clean patch. Nothing else.

If there are any suggestions from the board members to clean the bore, he and I would appreciate it.

Never had to deal with a bore as bad as this one looks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Scrub the bore good with Hoppies #9 until you can see the lands & grooves . Then shoot it. It will shoot high at 25 yards unless the front sight has been fiddled with.
Dan

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,673 Posts
I asked him to get a picture of the bore. What a mess. There has to be a lot of pitting under all the rust/crud. Shame his father-in-law didn't take care of it. Might have been worth something.
Still worth "something", as older (say 1st Gen SAA) Clots don't take too much of a hit based on bore condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.