Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were the older magazines for the 1908 "two-tone"? I know they were for the gov't model, just wondered if this is true also for the little vest pocket. TIA

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
My friend has three with his M1908, two are two-tone and one is all blue.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for all the responses guys. Now I gotta figure out what it is worth! Sold the pistol a couple years ago and found this extra magazine in my box o' clips .......

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Mine is all blued. If my memory serves me correctly the earlier magazines had throats that were heat treated. This affected that areas ability to take the bluing. Later, a higher grade of steel was used for the whole body thus negating the need for the heat treatment. Again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW:

The original Colt 1911 magazines were full blued, and were blued in the same charcoal furnaces as the pistols. It was found that the heat from the bluing process was taking the tempering out of the magazine lips leaving them too soft. Colt continued to use the heat bluing process, but tempered the magazines after bluing by immersing the top of the magazine in a molten cyanide solution and tempering in oil. The first of the magazines blued in this manner only had the first inch or so tempered, but the specifications were changed to temper them to below the magazine catch. The molten cyanide removed the bluing, but Colt did not find this objectionable as their commercial magazines were tempered in the same way.

JT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts