Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked if I knew anything about his 1917 Colt. It was his Grandfathers pistol, and marked on butt, US Army, WC 8 535. Patent dates of Aug5, 1884, June5, 1900, and July4, 1905. It has the holster with it and condition looks, well, can't say, as he sent a scan of the pistol rather that a pic. Any info about this pistol will be appreciated. Thanks, Duane

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Hey Duane whats up?? We still need to get together sometime. Sorry I cant help you with the 1917.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Colt revolver

This sounds like a model 1909, rather than a 1917. Have your friend re read the butt markings and describe if they look worn off. He may have a USMC 1909 and is not seeing the entire markings.
these are marked somewhat like:

U.S.
M.C.

No.
x
xxx
See the pics of the butt markings in the post below

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i was thinking along similar lines , might be a 1909 as that list of pattent dates is incomplete for the M1917 ,
it should also state the caliber on the bbl , that might help as well - in the absence of photos

at any rate if its a colt it has value - there are folks that will 'pay' just for the colt name , the M1909 is 45 long colt / the M1917 is 45 acp , but they are esentaly the same revolver so the markings are crucial ,

colt M1909 and S&W M1917 [next to smaller colt M1903 38cal]

·
Platinum Bullet Member
937 Posts
A friend asked if I knew anything about his 1917 Colt. It was his Grandfathers pistol, and marked on butt, US Army, WC 8 535. Patent dates of Aug5, 1884, June5, 1900, and July4, 1905. It has the holster with it and condition looks, well, can't say, as he sent a scan of the pistol rather that a pic. Any info about this pistol will be appreciated. Thanks, Duane

Actually those are the correct patent dates for the Colt 1917. (A few mid range 1917's also had an APR 9 01 date, but that was a mistake and was removed on subsequent pistols.)

My guess is that the WC is actually the "No" that is partly worn. See the picture.

Cass

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Colt 45

Thanks, Guys for the info. I will try to get my friend to take some pics so we can tell what he has. Also I have sent him a link to this thread so he can see the pictures you have provided. Pistol is marked Colt DA 45 on bbl. Also, Cass you are correct, the WC is actually No.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts