Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple early Colt m1017 Army revolvers. Both of them have the cylinders without the "shoulder" and have to be fired with the half moon clips to headspace properly.

337 is original and 237 is one of the early post WWI Springfield Armory inspect and repair "rebuilds".

Cass

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had one, an early model without stepped chambers. Surely a post war rebuild as it had a parkerized finish. Not for sure thats a positive indicater of rebuild, but I assume it got refurbed between the wars.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you determine a post WWI Springfield re-build/refurbish from an untouched one?
SA did them right after WWI. They refinished most of them in a smooth black finish that typically didn't disturb the "brush stroke" metal surface underneath. They also added "assembly numbers" to several of the parts that were not numbered on original revolvers, so that is the best way to identify them.

Cass

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
nice looking revolvers , ive posted to M1917 threads numerous times of the early colts lacking the cylinder shoulders but you are the first to my recolection to actualy have an early one and post it , in yours the moon clips serve both to headspace and eject , later colts and S&W M1917s used them for ejection , oh and of coarse they would serve as speed loaders too in both versions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts