Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded for this "Model of 1911 U.S. Army" Colt slide mix this past weekend. Came with two barrels, one being a new Barsto, and a muzzle brake w/adjustable rear sight. The receiver is made by Crown City Arms, Cortland, NY. What caught my eye was because of the Colt Army slide. Being that it's a mix I was thinking of re-blueing the whole gun becasue it probably doesn't have any real value as a collectable. Fishing around for a little advice. Thanks

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Value as a collectible - zip. Value as a shooter? Oh yeah. Even the 1911 US Army Modle slide is of no use as a replacement part for a 1911 that needs one since it has been altered.

Reblue the whole gun if that suits you. And have what should be, with the Bar-Sto barrel (presuming everything is properly fitted and it has a good trigger job) a good shooter.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well finished the blueing and thought I'd share he results. I tried some of Brownell's Phox-Pro Blue and have mixed emotions of the results. The differances in the slide metal and the receiver metal were definitley differant. But the more I thought about it the more I liked it because it makes it look a little more aged looking like an original would be except not parkerized. Pluses for the pistol are: Adj Trigger, New Bar Sto barrel, compensator and adjustable rear sight. Now if it will prove to be a good shooter I'll be happy! The new barrel bushing had to be fit to this slide and chamber already had the ramp work done. The trigger is set at 3-3/4 lb pull.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Went to the range today and was less than impressed with performance due to the rear sight. It has sharp edges and won't lower enough for use with the stock front sight. (Shoots high) The rear sight likes to cut my fingers when chargeing the upper for the first round. Think I'm going to do away with the adjustable sight. Five shots at 15 yds I had 1-1/4" grouping. Actual function and performance was great although about every third round I had to take my thumb and ease the slide forward to completely close slide. I'm going to check the barrel lock casue maybe it's still a little tight when barrel heats up. Once I do something with the rear sight I think this will really be a great shooter.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought these really nice S&W grips and am planning on taking the medalion out of them and try to replace them with Colt medalion's I have. The current grips are some cheap brown plastic ones. Anyone have a used rear sight, two/dot or lined, they want to sell reasonable? Thanks

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Grips

How do you like my new S&W grips? I haven't changed the medalions yet but think it looks really good with them. Also I put the new compensator on and am not sure how I like it yet. It kinda looks like it sticks out like a sore d**g! Is there a front sight device that can be put on top of the sight to make it taller?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.