Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were only 1,000 of these made (unlike the more plentiful Colt 1909 USMC where 1,300 were made, ha!).

This one came with some interesting handmade Perspex grips. Perspex was WWII aircraft canopy material and was popular for handicraft.

Cass

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
64,637 Posts
Nice pistol. How hard it is to find original grips?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grips are real tough to find. Actually the guy I bought this one from had found the walnut grips about 25 years ago, so I bought it with both sets.

I found a couple sets for the Colt 1917, which are the same as the 1909 Navy. I got those for $75 per set, but that was close to 10 years ago. Now the repros go for about that.

I also really lucked out a few years ago and found an original set for the 1909 USMC for $150. I just posted a message on another forum and a guy said he had a set....amazing luck.

Cass

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
very nice revolver , congrats , and to get both sets of grip scales is a real coupe ive not gotten a resouce book on these yet but i take it you have one [knowing how many navy-USMC models of 1909 were made] can you tell me how many army were made [i have one of these]

·
Platinum Bullet Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, A square. There is a small book by Bob Murphy called COLT NEW SERVICE REVOLVERS that is the best source for these revolvers. It says that two sources disagree on the number of Colt 1909 Army's produced. One gives 18,303 and the other around 13,000.

Cass

1 - 7 of 7 Posts