Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a new revolver today and information is a little light on the web. I have what I believe is a 1905 USMC contract revolver. It's clearly been reblued, but not done too poorly. The serial on the inside of the frame, crane, and cylinder release is 803. The serial on the toe of the grip frame is 10294, but very faint. Pencil markings on the inside of the grips are "294" but the grips are checkered and no acceptance markings A serial search and Wikipedia article lead me to believe that it should have "USMC" on the heel of the grip frame, as the first 820-ish guns were USMC contract and then another couple hundred were done for the commercial market. However, I know it was cently common in the past to grind off government ownership marks and the 10294 is very faint as can be seen.

Does anyone have a better idea of what this gun is, what is correct/incorrect, and what it may be worth? Let me know if more pictures are needed. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So I picked up a new revolver today and information is a little light on the web. I have what I believe is a 1905 USMC contract revolver. It's clearly been reblued, but not done too poorly. The serial on the inside of the frame, crane, and cylinder release is 803. The serial on the toe of the grip frame is 10294, but very faint. Pencil markings on the inside of the grips are "294" but the grips are checkered and no acceptance markings A serial search and Wikipedia article lead me to believe that it should have "USMC" on the heel of the grip frame, as the first 820-ish guns were USMC contract and then another couple hundred were done for the commercial market. However, I know it was cently common in the past to grind off government ownership marks and the 10294 is very faint as can be seen.

Does anyone have a better idea of what this gun is, what is correct/incorrect, and what it may be worth? Let me know if more pictures are needed. Thanks!
View attachment 3789257

View attachment 3789257
Finger Gesture Automotive tire Thumb Nail
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Finger Gesture Automotive tire Thumb Nail
Gas Cylinder Automotive exterior Metal Nickel
Air gun Gun accessory Wood Trigger Metal
Wood Musical instrument Bicycle part Gas Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This is a correct 1905 Marine ....no serial number on the pistol any where only the 835 (with USMC) on the butt of the grip. That is the order when it was produced total produced is around 812 pistols. This one 535...A very rare Marine marked 1905 Colt. I sold mine a month ago. The grips were ordered by the marines. Also the ejection rod is different (knob) than all other military 38 long Colts. A must for any Colt collector.....1909, 1905. 1911 Marine.
Hope this helps, (Best's book has the best info on these Military Colts out of print.....Not cheap either.)
If you carefully at the pictures... butt markings, knob on ejector rod unique to Marine only, grips, plus mark on cylinder latch.

Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a correct 1905 Marine ....no serial number on the pistol any where only the 835 (with USMC) on the butt of the grip. That is the order when it was produced total produced is around 812 pistols. This one 835.....A very rare Marine marked 1905 Colt. I sold mine a month ago. The grips were ordered by the marines. Also the ejection rod is different (knob) than all other military 38 long Colts. A must for any Colt collector.....1909, 1905. 1911 Marine.
Hope this helps, (Best's book has the best info on these Military Colts out of print.....Not cheap either.)
If you carefully at the pictures... butt markings, knob on ejector rod unique to Marine only, grips, plus mark on cylinder latch.

Joe
The serial on mine returns as a 1905 USMC on colt's website and exhibits the frame characteristics of 1905, but I'm not seeing what's different between your 1905's ejection rod knob and mine. I do see that there is knurling added compared to my 1894. But seeing the way the serial on a military model looks along with the lack of the "US/MC" leads me to believe mine is a commercial 1905 USMC (which I had suspected but not confirmed because of a lack of online info). So I guess this is the wrong forum for it as it isn't military, but I'm still curious to its value. I'll make up for it with pictures of my 1894 that I found at Cabela's for $600.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
hi by
The serial on mine returns as a 1905 USMC on colt's website and exhibits the frame characteristics of 1905, but I'm not seeing what's different between your 1905's ejection rod knob and mine. I do see that there is knurling added compared to my 1894. But seeing the way the serial on a military model looks along with the lack of the "US/MC" leads me to believe mine is a commercial 1905 USMC (which I had suspected but not confirmed because of a lack of online info). So I guess this is the wrong forum for it as it isn't military, but I'm still curious to its value. I'll make up for it with pictures of my 1894 that I found at Cabela's for $600. View attachment 3790780 View attachment 3790781 View attachment 3790782
The commercial and USMC marked ones are the same except for the the USMC on the pistol butt. The grips and knob are the same ......All except the production date (mine 535) and USMC mark.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm having a thick moment. Are you saying this also isn't a commercial 1905?
I never said it wasn't a commrcial Marine1905.....Robert Best book (the bible of military Colts)....Here's what he has to say About the Marine commercials.....serial range 10001 to 10926, VP proof mark on the left front trigger guard web, W on the Marine Corp ones. Commercial has walnut grips with diamond pattern around grip screw ( both have the same grips). The assembly number is only numbered on the cylinder latch,inside the crane, on the frame in the crane cut out, and on the inside face of the side plate. The assembly number does not match the serial number.Colt D.A. 38 left side of the barrel ........6 in barrel ........The two line barrel address starts with Colt's and ends with Nov.6,88 Mar 5, 95.......
Hope this helps ...........Joe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never said it wasn't a commrcial Marine1905.....Robert Best book (the bible of military Colts)....Here's what he has to say About the Marine commercials.....serial range 10001 to 10926, VP proof mark on the left front trigger guard web, W on the Marine Corp ones. Commercial has walnut grips with diamond pattern around grip screw ( both have the same grips). The assembly number is only numbered on the cylinder latch,inside the crane, on the frame in the crane cut out, and on the inside face of the side plate. The assembly number does not match the serial number.Colt D.A. 38 left side of the barrel ........6 in barrel ........The two line barrel address starts with Colt's and ends with Nov.6,88 Mar 5, 95.......
Hope this helps ...........Joe
Very much so, I misunderstood what you were saying. I actually found that book. Then I found the price and thought "maybe later." Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.