Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this gun a few years back at a gun show for $400. I did not notice until later when reading about them more the A inside of a diamond on the frame signifies that the gun was produced by Colt to fulfill a contract for the Belgian Army. This weapon itself was produced in 1917 and likely was not sent overseas to the Belgian Government, but sold commercially in the US.

The Belgian Army A

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,894 Posts
I doubt that "links" will do you any good. You need an old fashioned reference book that costs money or you could just believe Soldat222. One book is John Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistol" Vol.1 or 2.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Soldat222: Nice WWI 1903 contract Colt; thanks for posting. Love those WWI contract Colts, especially the Colt Gov't Models. According to Sam Lisker's excellent Coltautos site, during World War I Colt contracted with the Belgian government to supply Belgium with a large number of Colt Model M pistols in .32 caliber. A notation in the Colt shipping books indicates that these pistols were marked with an "A" in a diamond shaped box. Here's the link for more info: http://www.coltautos.com/mmbelg.htm

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I first saw that when looking up more info on the 1903 on that site and I realized "Hey, my gun has the A in a diamond on it!". Which is neat. I have seen on a few other places it cited that the A was meant to make the Belgian contract pistols. However, like I said, there was apparently a contract overrun and A marked guns were sold commercially in the US. I could find out for sure from Colt where it was shipped from their factory but it will cost me. My money is on this one being a contract overrun gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts