Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao Gents,
I just picked up colorization of old photos. Here is a partial shot of the third one I am working on. This is a Bersaglieri of a machinegun unit in Ethiopia. The photo is dated March 3, 1935. He is wearing the red softcap with blue tassle of the Bersaglieri. Notice the tropical tunic and pants and brown hightops combat boots used primarily in East Africa. He appears to be armed with a MODEL 91TS.
Regards, Arditi

· Administrator
10,482 Posts
Where Are they now?

Well, the Soldiers in the photo(1937) would all now be around the 88-92 year old mark, if surviving.
The TS rifles went from Ethiopia to India, the KNIL, and other British African Colonoes, as well as the Eritrean/Somali/Ethiopian irregulars after the italian Surrender in 1941 in East Africa.

And the M1914 Revelli MGs?...India probably, or they stayed locally....or were destroyed by the perfidious British....as being "obsolete and useless"???

One must say that in the late 1930s, Italian Troops in Africa were the only ones suitably dressed for the climate and tactical conditions of all the Colonial Powers...even the Fench Uniform of its North African troops was still in WW I style (heavy wool, etc.).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I'd like to say thank you for posting these photos as well. They are interesting.

· Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
One suggestion when colorizing such a photograph.

If you're using Photoshop, copy the original base layer of black-and-white, and place that copy over the color layers. Then set the black-and-white to "color burn" so that the dark lines overlay the colors and it looks more natural rather than painted-over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.