Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these rifles rare? I was reading through Ball's book, and noticed the unusual buttplate configuration.

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
See a LOT of them here in Australia. Never appeal to me as they look crude with that buttplate. (though I understand the rationale behind the idea). Minty examples (most seem 54 dated) run $350 tops here - about $320 US.

FN 24/30's are moderately common here too, usually in 30-06, and can top high $600's for prime unissued examples (though again usually $300's)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one in 30-06 that I paid $150 for it a few years back and it was the only one I saw so I assumed it is rare at least in my neck of wood . The buttplate has serration or ridge so it will not slip on the shoulder but it was not any better than normal Mauser buttplate. It has very smooth bolt handle and I can manupulate the bolt rapidly with out having to lower the rifle off my shoulder . The only fly in the ointment is that mine couldn't hit the side of the barn at 40 yards and the rifling wasn't any worst than my Chilean or Spanish Mauser . If you can get it in good price say within $200 then it might be good addition to the 30-06 or Mauser collection .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to resurect a dead thread but I have a query with this specific rifle. I have found one (or at least I think I have) sporterized, whoever done didn't do much. He took the military stock off and put a sporter stock on it, still has rear and front sights, bolt handle is still straight.

When I was talking to the bloke on the phone he said the barrel was 22.5 inches, the right hand side of the receiver has Famage on it, Colombian crest on top dated 1952.
He's asking $395 +post but I think I can get $50 off that price.

So for fun I want to put it back into a military stock with bands and sling loops, how hard will that be? I know finding a stock with a corrugated butt is nigh impossible but are there any stocks in mass supply that this rifle will fit into?

See a LOT of them here in Australia. Never appeal to me as they look crude with that buttplate. (though I understand the rationale behind the idea). Minty examples (most seem 54 dated) run $350 tops here - about $320 US.

FN 24/30's are moderately common here too
Vulch are these 2 rifles still in supply these days, if so can you point me to a place that sells them please.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,347 Posts
Sorry to resurect a dead thread but I have a query with this specific rifle. I have found one (or at least I think I have) sporterized, whoever done didn't do much. He took the military stock off and put a sporter stock on it, still has rear and front sights, bolt handle is still straight.

When I was talking to the bloke on the phone he said the barrel was 22.5 inches, the right hand side of the receiver has Famage on it, Colombian crest on top dated 1952.
He's asking $395 +post but I think I can get $50 off that price.

So for fun I want to put it back into a military stock with bands and sling loops, how hard will that be? I know finding a stock with a corrugated butt is nigh impossible but are there any stocks in mass supply that this rifle will fit into?

Vulch are these 2 rifles still in supply these days, if so can you point me to a place that sells them please.
You may be looking at one of the Steyr or BRNO Mausers, originally long rifles in 7mm, that were re-manufactured into 30-06 in the early fifties by the Colombian Government. They are similar in form to the Belgian made articles. I have one, and it is an OK shooter and handy for hunting, but they are hardly worth spending much money on or pursuing sources for parts. In the US, a good one fetches from $200-300 at Gun Shows and on line...if it sells. A notch in the receiver ring is a clue, as the 30-06 cartridge is longer than the 7mm and it was put there when converted.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Just re-iterating the Post WW II Colombian Mauser story:

IN 1950, Colombia ordered some M1950 ( aka M24/30) .30/06 Mauser Rifles and some M1935 ( aka M1950) Gendarmerie carbines, also in .30/06, From FN.

Then , in 1952 (most common date) the Fabrica de Materiales de Guerra, of Bogota ( "Fa.Ma.Ge.") began converting all the varied 7x57 Mausers they had, ( M1912 Steyrs, M1929 Steyrs, Vz24, and FN M24/30) to .30/06 by reboring the barrels, resetting the rear sights, cutting a relief groove in the Receiver ring, and unifying the stocks to a copy of the M1950 FN stock. Barrels, by and large, retained their original front sights, as both types ( full sleeve (Vz24) and Banded sleeve ( Steyr and FN) are found. Markings on the barrels are also helpful in determining the origin of the rifle, and the receiver ( "T" mark , both Czech and Steyr, "Perron and ELG" (FN); Serial Nos with "34-" signifying year of mfg.)
Occasionally one finds (usu. very Good condition) "Steyr-Solothurn" addressed receivers, these were the "M29 Export Colombian" rifles, with the special Pointed Pistol grip orginally, as well as a unique Bayonet band.
Most "FAMAGE" rifles have been completely scrubbed of side rail marks.

I have a late production M29 with Colombian crest, but taken over by the Luftwaffe, and rebarrelled to 7,9mm (1938)
( as were many Austrian M29 rifles...became G29 o (umlaut). I also have a wide variation in scrubbed FAMAGE rifles.

As to "rebuilding", is the barrel 22 inches, breechface to muzzle or is that a "rough measurment" ie, Receiver ring to muzzle ?
If the Barrel is uncut, then it is possible to rebuild the rifle ( with replacement FAMAGE FN Model stock and Bands) or by splicing in a proper fore-end, and fitting FN style Bands.
If the Barrel IS cut back, then its a Truck gun life for this one. ( or parts).

Later than 1952 rebuild dates do exist, but are uncommon. ( up to 1960, from memory of Webpage entries)

Good rifle, and if the Bore is OK, also accurate with M2 Ball. A Lot in Australia were "Bubba'ed" when Ammo was plentiful...now I get them as "parts" or as "stripped receivers" ( Licensing Problems...most are "off ticket")...They still make up a good Movie Mauser (Generic).

Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane
Australia

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most "FAMAGE" rifles have been completely scrubbed of side rail marks.

As to "rebuilding", is the barrel 22 inches, breechface to muzzle or is that a "rough measurment" ie, Receiver ring to muzzle ?
If the Barrel is uncut, then it is possible to rebuild the rifle ( with replacement FAMAGE FN Model stock and Bands) or by splicing in a proper fore-end, and fitting FN style Bands.
If the Barrel IS cut back, then its a Truck gun life for this one. ( or parts).

Later than 1952 rebuild dates do exist, but are uncommon. ( up to 1960, from memory of Webpage entries)

Good rifle, and if the Bore is OK, also accurate with M2 Ball. A Lot in Australia were "Bubba'ed" when Ammo was plentiful...now I get them as "parts" or as "stripped receivers" ( Licensing Problems...most are "off ticket")...They still make up a good Movie Mauser (Generic).

Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane
Australia
Ahh he did say he couldn't make out the side rail markings.

As for barrel length, not sure we were talking over the phone he measured it there and then so I'd say rough measurement. The original front sight is still attached and is in 30-06.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts