Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was finally able to pick these two up. I am very lucky to just have just one of the thousand made for Colombia, but to have two is way beyond. I was only able to take a few photos in the failing light today, and will take more later. One of the rifles SN # 0006 is obviously a very early specimen. Both rifles are all matching.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good score Jimmy !

Regarding 0006 being "very early" - since the Colombian rifles were delivered in a single shipment in early 1953 - they were probably all actually manufactured within one month of each other. So, 0006 is "earlier" than #1000 by at most, a month !

Also, now that you are a member of the Colombian club ... remember that there is no "u" in Colombia !!

Cheers,

Goose

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wayne... My enthusiasm overcame my spelling ability!!

You are correct on the buttplates. I noticed the rubber pad was almost identical to the but pad on the Madsen M47 Colombian rifle. Do you think that is where the rubber pads came from??

·
Registered
585 Posts
Never been able to figure out the rubber pads. The ones on the FN-49 are different than the Madsen so I still don't know if they were applied in Colombia, or by the importer here in the U.S. (probably the former). Also, whenever you see a rubber pad - it's usually attached to a non-crossbolt, non-FN stock.

If you read between the lines of my "Collector's Note" on page 74 of the book, you will sense my frustration with the Colombians ...

Goose

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are definite differences in the two pads, however there are also definite similarities. Maybe, we will never know. It's just odd that the two have such similar pads. If only we could go back to those days and be a fly on the wall in some Colombian armory!!!

I have you're GREAT FN-49 BIBLE and I did sense your frustration. Now a shamless plug for Wayne .... If any of you collectors want a great book on FN -49's you NEED his book. Even if you don't own a FN this book is a must have for any serious student of military ares.

On another subject I promise to get those Sniper scope serial numbers to you soon.

Oh, I almost forgot have you ever seen a scope adjusting tool for the OIP type 3 scopes???

Regards JIMMY C

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot have you ever seen a scope adjusting tool for the OIP type 3 scopes???
Yes - I have one - got it from a guy in Germany I think. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tool prior to publishing the book but if there is ever a second edition, I will have that tool and the metal scope can illustrated in the sniper chapter. I am still waiting to come across the leather scope case.

Goose

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darn, I thought I had one on you. I just found one. I will take some photos later and post them to see if it's the same tool.

Regards JIMMY C

·
Registered
585 Posts
Darn, I thought I had one on you.
That wouldn't be too hard to do. While I have been collecting the rifles since 1987, I never paid much attention to the accessories. I have always considered myself a shooter, not a collector - so, while I had quite a few rifles, I never bothered to pick up any of the accessories. A number of accessories that were available in the past (like the leather OIP scope case, some of the manuals, etc.) I never bought. In fact, I wasn't planning on including an accessories chapter in the book but my publisher encouraged me to develop one. I had to scramble to try to pick up as many goodies as I could, and write the accessories chapter, in a relatively short period of time. I now have a few more accessories that are not illustrated in the book but will be included if there is ever a second edition.

Goose

·
Registered
291 Posts
Two

Jimmy C I don't think you really need two. Please send me one. I still have not scored my First FN 49 and I have been trying very hard.

Really nice rifle - congratulations.

William

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice! I Once had a Venzuelan FN49, 3006 caliber, with serial number 2. Back in the eighties. Where is it now, I wonder? In someones nice collection!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice! I Once had a Venzuelan FN49, 3006 caliber, with serial number 2. Back in the eighties. Where is it now, I wonder? In someones nice collection!
The Venezuelan contract rifles were chambered for 7x57. You most likely had either a Luxembourg or Colombian contract rifle if it was chambered in .30-06. If the rifle was serial number 2 - then that excludes Luxembourg as their serial numbering started at 1001. You could have had Colombian "0002" which would have been in .30-06. However, if you really had Venezulean serial number "2" - then it was originally chambered in 7x57.

Goose

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, It must have been Columbian! Still, I wish I had it back! Those Egyptians ones never really impressed me, Shall I tell you about my Very very early G43 with a MIlled receiver I got from Sarco in the e arly eighties? For 330 bucks. Where is That thing now. It wpould be worth thousands. The G43's I see at the shows are rough receivers a nd They go for well over a grand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great Pictures!

Hang a bikini on her! I think you just got Miss December! Seriously, those are great pictures! I've always liked the FN-49s anyway, but those are sweeter than your average rifle. Thanks for posting 'em.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts