Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of years, I have owned two of the Chilean 1912's handled a few more and have looked at more online.

All have had this makers marking on the left rail: "Waffenfabrik Steyr Austria"

Initially I thought this rifle was also a Chilean. I have been able to determine that it is most likely a Colombian, with a very small chance it is a Mexican. I had a difficult time finding a search that didn't bring up information on the Chilean versions. Even when using the word "Colombian" in my searches...... :confused:

I had posted what I thought was a low ball bid at an online auction, and forgot about it until they invoiced me! :)

It wasn't until then that I looked closely at the pictures. These are the only two pictures I have until the rifle shows up.

The serial number seems to indicate it could be early production?

Any information would be appreciated. Actual country of purchase? History? Whatever you wish to share!

·
8,105 Posts
If the receiver has been scrubbed, it is impossible to say from the pictures shown. The Chile, Colombia and Mexico all had different acceptance marks and each had separate serial numbering. In other words, there would be an "A 401" made for each country although using a variation of formats.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,769 Posts
The first 6 photos are my Colombian M1912 long rifle. The last 4 photos are my Colombian M1912 short rifle. Colombians have C markings on parts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been more than a couple of weeks. Rifle arrived and I put it in the rack. Then got busy and forgot about it. It didn't cross my mind until I was cleaning a Brazilian 08 that I picked up last weekend.

All of the marks I could find and get pictures of.

·
15,769 Posts
Your rear band is Brazilian. Your bolt looks like it could be Brazilian.

Steyr used the K marking when making M1895 Mannlicher rifles. Maybe they also used a K on Mexican M1912 rifles. I don't know, I have only Chilean and Colombian.

Regards,
Bill

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
The Bolt is definitely Brazilian, Second Delivery (1912-1914) the "Uu" Suffix is the Latest one I know of ( recorded late (1914) production include such as Nn, Rr, ). Some Brazilians were not delivered, but sequestered by Germany and then ??Transferred to Austria?? which had done the same to the M1912 Steyrs, and re-issued in 7mm.(ammo also Sequestered ( and continued production) from HP and K&C); any that remained in German Hands tended to be rebarrelled to 7,9mm ( like the Chinese M1907, 6,8mm).

Any other Parts with "Greek" lower case Letters are also Brazilian.
Good find.

Doc AV

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bolt is definitely Brazilian, Second Delivery (1912-1914) the "Uu" Suffix is the Latest one I know of ( recorded late (1914) production include such as Nn, Rr, ). Some Brazilians were not delivered, but sequestered by Germany and then ??Transferred to Austria?? which had done the same to the M1912 Steyrs, and re-issued in 7mm.(ammo also Sequestered ( and continued production) from HP and K&C); any that remained in German Hands tended to be rebarrelled to 7,9mm ( like the Chinese M1907, 6,8mm).

Any other Parts with "Greek" lower case Letters are also Brazilian.
Good find.

Doc AV
Import mark says "Germany". Would that hav designated production location or where it was imported from?

·
15,769 Posts
Import mark says "Germany". Would that hav designated production location or where it was imported from?
That designated a wrong guess at the country of manufacture.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should have phrased that better. Aware that it was not manufactured in Germany.

Another rifle to sell. I buy to build custom rifles, but if in original configuration I ask questions. This one will end up with someone who better appreciates it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.