Gunboards Forums banner

Collectors Forum members-mandatory read please

6K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Leftyboy81 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly I'm getting fed up with the shoot first and ask questions later mentality that has become more frequent this past year here in our main forum. My patience has come to an end and heavy infractions will be given and out right privileges revoked of some regular offenders. Membership at Gunboards is a privilege- not a right. We are here for "collectors by collectors", not by self appointed jerks to throw there self righteous opinions into threads that are asking for help or by a new member looking for help. If you can't answer the question with some dignity and some decorum then don't answer it. Or perhaps another forum that tolerates that kind of rude and rash behavior is better suited to you. I will be much more active in watching these kinds of aggressions and the repercussions will be handed out if I see it continue especially by several members Im already aware of of. Your days are numbered. I'd suggest we all read our bylaws if your not sure what is OK or not. If you can't act like a gentleman or lady here or reply without a smart ass remark or slam of some kind- then your not welcome in my house. Period.

#2 ·
I'm also asking the membership to step up as a "6th" man in this effort to report to me, Tuco or another mod using the report thread option to help us identify these offenders who have a post in the middle of a thread or buried in comments. I cant read everything and rely on this to help weed out the issues. I want GB to regain the civility that set us apart of the other forums. This elitist mentality just shuns people away. We want to grow being the the one forum that others respect because of who we are-not what we were. Help us out as members make your site a better place.

#22 ·
We want to grow being the the one forum that others respect because of who we are-not what we were.
Aha. Interesting.
I esteem Gunboards for what it WAS. (Great it was, indeed.)
Not for what it is.

PS: Psychos exist in every newsgroup, every forum, every blog's comment section. It is the way of the 'Net. It is comparable, say, to what lives and populates the soft soil of a forest, and it quite necessary there. ;-) No use complaining about that, hence. But in some places, they are not made moderators.

Carcano

#3 ·
I appreciate your comments and we will make necessary adjustments to correct any issues. Let all who care to spend the 20 seconds to read this thread be warned. I will have a zero tolerance policy in this for some time. If you would not say it to the OP's face or in his house you wont say it in mine. I have handed out two infractions this morning already resulting in the suspension of two members and am reviewing posts of three others. Just because you have been a member for some time or just last week- it does not give you free reign to be a jerk. Tuco and I built this house. We will clean it too when necessary.

#5 ·
Vic

I guess you have generated some comment as your mailbox is full. You are spot on that the general crankiness level has been on the rise, lately.

#10 ·
Brent, as I have said to you, some people are here for nefarious reasons and are resistant to being changed. These uncivil persons, habitual offenders are no asset to this site and should be purged. Vic knows all too well whom these persons are as do the moderators. Don't wait, take out the trash and reaffirm the purpose of this site.

#12 ·
I have read things on the these boards and wondered "What was that guy thinking?" Then I realize that I wrote it. The only thing I can figure out is that I forgot to take my meds on schedule.

You'd be amazed at what you think is funny, insightful, and even border-line genius when you compose it. But when you (and everyone else) reads it later it comes across as bat-poo nuts or downright mean.

There is more than just one person on the Boards who should have to wait 24 hours before what they wrote is allowed to be posted.

I blame it on global warming. It's late winter and we are going to be in the 70s this weekend. Who wouldn't be driven crazy by that?

#15 ·
Grandpa Mark: You are spot-on there in your first three paragraphs - there have been too many times when I have posted too late in the evening, fatigued, should have been in bed hours ago, should not have had that third beer, bad political news, etc. and awakened at 0200 to go back on-line to try to delete my posting before anyone read it. I could use a 24 hour posting-delay function to let me sleep better some nights. ed

#13 ·
In the context of three threads covering roughly the same topic, I have yet to see the identity of the "other two" who were whacked, and for what. Neither here, nor there. Merely an observation.

But the one, and he was the first to come to mind for me as well, seems to have touched on a nerve. Love him or hate him. There is that element, but no, not absolutely succinct. Tolerated seems closer to my sentiment, but even that lacks depth. Something will be missing from the dinner table each evening, be it asparagus or prime rib. And I despised the taste of asparagus as a kid. Now? Not so much.

And the strangled or strangling (perspective) feline had some polarizing effect, for sure. I have yet to see a petition for reinstatement, either. Culinary color seems a non-essential in the gun talk diet. Just another observation.

#16 ·
Petition? Gunboards is not a democracy, it's Vic's and Tuco's house. If members aren't prepared to follow the regs and keep the standards up, then they get dealt with. Simple as that. No one has a 'right' to be here, much less be a jerk. I know you realize that, but it bears repeating.

Getting on the 'Banned Wagon' takes time and means that someone received REPEATED infraction, warnings and suspensions. It's not like this developed overnight.

Pat

#14 ·
I haven't been a member for all that long, but there were some replies to threads that definitely struck me as out of line. So I'm glad that things are being reigned in. If I post a reply where I'm in error I have no problem with being corrected. After all, I'll learn something new which is the whole point, isn't it? If the person has the male version of PMS then I'm likely to think they're a jerk. Some people are just brusk. It's their personality. It doesn't give them an excuse to flame or attack someone or make snide remarks.

There is another forum that I stopped going to because I just got tired of things. I'm glad that this forum will be a more friendly place to learn and spread knowledge. One of the reasons I have more than one Mosin is because of this forum. My wife might have a few "comments" about that, but well, it does keep me out of her hair so she can't complain too much! ;)

#19 ·
I don't post nearly as much as I used to (first joined the family about 10 years ago?), but I do check the collectors forum pretty frequently. I have absolutely noticed a difference in the vibe of the joint compared to 10 years ago. There have always been highly opinionated crusty crufflers out there, but to me it was more a matter of passion than malice. Some of the comments I've seen in the last year or so defintiely seemed (to me anyhow) to be of the latter.

I absolutey trust Tuco, Vic, and the various admins to do what needs to be done. They're not vindictive or out to get anybody, but gunboards.com has a reputation to protect and anything done to help further promote this passion of ours and build the community is not a bad thing.

I am eager to see how things work out.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

#20 ·
I don't post nearly as much as I used to (first joined the family about 10 years ago?), but I do check the collectors forum pretty frequently. I have absolutely noticed a difference in the vibe of the joint compared to 10 years ago. There have always been highly opinionated crusty crufflers out there, but to me it was more a matter of passion than malice. Some of the comments I've seen in the last year or so defintiely seemed (to me anyhow) to be of the latter.

I absolutey trust Tuco, Vic, and the various admins to do what needs to be done. They're not vindictive or out to get anybody, but gunboards.com has a reputation to protect and anything done to help further promote this passion of ours and build the community is not a bad thing.

I am eager to see how things work out.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Great Post! I agree totally!

#27 ·
There has been changes and will continue to be in both moderation and membership privileges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.