Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buried in another forum is a tale of a pistol which has a tag upon which a story is written. The thread dives off the deep end with total belief the weapon is a bring back and the story is true. No proof, just a shoe tag on the weapon. That is not conclusive proof of anything but one has a right to believe what they want and thats okay...just don't expect your opinion to somehow elevate that weapon beyond being what it is, not what you want it to be. You pay more for a shoe tag...its on you.

There are a lot of bring backs that got here w/o papers and whose history is lost. Doesn't make them any more or less valuable if condition of the weapon is honestly evaluated but there are also a very few that have bring back papers and that puts them into a special niche of value ...for a very small niche of "collectors" who prize such papers.

War Stories: feel free to believe what you want. If its a relative or close neighbor, I believe a war story , if someone else, its a stretch unless there are witnesses . I grew up post WWII and I knew a lot of ex GI's who brought back weapons and told how they got them. That was good enough for me but I got to say, some weapon from some source with a shoe tag on it .......no, its of no value but it might be interesting.

The worst thing that can happen to a war story is an Eye Witness. !!

Why did GI's toss away bring back papers ? Easy answer, they were irrelevant once they got back to the states. No one cared about bring back papers so they're tossed.

I brought a SKS back and tossed the papers, they were of no interest or value then. I also brought back a M44 and Mas 36 , without papers stuffed in a duffle bag. Did not have time to get any papers, no one asked for them anyhow while traveling and got them home with no drama.

In my family those weapons are what they are, I brought them back and end of story. End of story ! Not for sale .

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
WW2 was probably the last war where you could bring stuff back. My father fought in Korea. He brought back a couple of M1 carbine magazines with WW2 ammo in them. That and some mementos. He told me a story how he had a Thompson and a 1911 in his bags and somebody stole them. I was also told that guys in returning troop ships were warned that if they had contraband that they would be charged so they tossed them over board. By no means am I saying my father lied but who doesn't like a good story. Lol

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
My general foreman was a WWII vet and served in tanks. So I do know where that firearm we did some horse trading came from. He did publish a small book from one of the smaller publishing houses. He was kind enough to send me a copy that he autographed. Both items are treasured from our days working together and his service to our country. Frank

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Best capture story I ever heard was from my great uncle in WW2. He “captured” a Luger off a dead German soldier. A few weeks later the Germans were bearing down on him and he buried out of fear that if he was captured with the Luger he would be shot as a spy. 30 years later he went back to Germany only to find a shopping mall had been built over the top of the spot he buried the Luger. It doesn’t effect the value of the Luger in the slightest, since the pistol is long gone; but it’s still a good story which I believe.😉

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I read about a scout sniper who found out that tracers work both directions. He said he leaned his 1903 against a tree, reported it lost and drew out an M1. Years later he went back but the gun was gone.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
I brought back a Soviet SKS and a TT33 both with papers.....MP unit at Camp Holloway near Pleiku did the papers, I remember because they had a jeep with twin M60's mounted on the pedestal parked by the HQ, damn silly thing made me laugh out loud .... I have no idea where the papers went...like you said...who cared. you got them home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.