1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the focus of many here is purely on collecting a Mosin , few
have thought of sand bagging (GI for hoarding away) a Mosin for a
grand kid.

This is what I did, an investment to my sole grand son's future in collecting.
I carefully picked the nicest Hex receiver refurb 91/30 I could find a few
yrs ago, made sure the cosmoline was thick and working to protect it.

Then stuffed it back in the original box along with the usual sling and other
stuff and sealed the box. Its going to be the milsurp Mosin time capsule so
my grand son can open a box like we all have done and experience how it
was back in our day to pull out a great treasure all in cosmo .

I am collecting "an experience" for him. There won't be refurb Mosins in the box
like this when he is grown up. It will be a memory captured and passed on to him.

I may not be around when that day comes so I put a letter in the box with a few
thoughts of my own that I want him to take note of.

If nothing else, he'll know I was thinking of him .

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
That's a cool idea. I might have to do that.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
804 Posts
I'm a sentimental old fool and this almost brought tears to my eyes. Now you've got my wheels turning. I've already willed them all to my grandson as I started that tradition when I passed my dad's stuff to my son. Time to take it up a notch. Thanks for sharing a wonderful idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,485 Posts
I thought about doing this for future children, and I'm not a father. Great idea though!

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,092 Posts
At the time, these were under-valued, and widely available, and my kids were really little. So,...I pulled a Milprileb. They're still in the safe, waiting for small trigger fingers to get bigger...

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
266 Posts
My father actually did this for me years ago, although it was not intentional. He purchased a Remington 03A3 rifle from the DCM (the precursor to the CMP) back in the 1960's for $14 along with a bunch of surplus WWII .30-06 ammo and stashed it in a closet. He never even got around to unpacking it... My father gave it to me when I was 13 years old. That gift was priceless, and I've been hooked on milsurps since that day 35 years ago. I think of my father and the experience of cleaning cosmoline off an unissued-since-rebuild 03A3 every time I handle that rifle...

Randy

·
Registered
101 Posts
My father actually did this for me years ago, although it was not intentional. He purchased a Remington 03A3 rifle from the DCM (the precursor to the CMP) back in the 1960's for $14 along with a bunch of surplus WWII .30-06 ammo and stashed it in a closet. He never even got around to unpacking it... My father gave it to me when I was 13 years old. That gift was priceless, and I've been hooked on milsurps since that day 35 years ago. I think of my father and the experience of cleaning cosmoline off an unissued-since-rebuild 03A3 every time I handle that rifle...

Reminds me of my 12th birthday when I got an M1 garand that my dad had bought way back when Sears was selling them for $25 or so...my first real gun, bagged my first deer with it later that same year. I still have it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
what about a gun not made by and for a brutal dictatorship?
Who then? Not america as we are seen by most other countries as the ultimate dictator. Certainly not a German firearm. Not a British rifle. What about a Spanish... Nope can't do that either. What about a Japanese? Oh how about a Chinese. Italy? Nope. Well....probably can't find a milsurp rifle that hasn't been used by a massive country with their own agenda to give to someone (except the swiss ones), maybe though....just maybe the inheritor won't be a weenie and will appreciate the gesture regardless of the country of origin since it is a gift.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.