Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the WAC show in Puyallup this weekend and came across a really nice Toyo Kogyo T99. I believe it was a series 34. I'm just wondering if it was the real deal or a parts rifle. It had a wooden buttplate, correct TK stock inspection stamp, but an unnumbered front band and strangely perhaps the rear band was the monopod type and the safety was knurled. The bolt and extractor matched the rifle. The most interesting thing about this rifle was that it had a hang tag affixed to the rear band. On one side it had the numbers 1, 2, and 3 separated by lines, and some Japanese characters on the other side that appeared to be a 2 on top and a 5 on bottom. The rifle had a full mum and was in factory fresh condition.

I was very interested in the rifle and asked the guy at the table if I could look at the bolt more closely-- I wanted to check if the safety and firing pin matched. At this point, he asked me if I was a member of WAC. I told him I'd been a member for 15 years but had not renewed yet in 2014 on account of being in Afghanistan (I was at the gunshow while home on R&R). The guy then told me I couldn't touch the rifle any more, saying it was WAC rules, not his. Incidentally, the rules only prohibit non-members from purchasing rifles, not handling them -- had I liked the rifle, I would have walked over and renewed my membership to buy it. However the guy's attitude was so off-putting that I just walked away in disgust. Now I'm wondering if I made a bad decision -- I don't have an Arisaka with a hang tag.

Incidentally, he wanted $450 for the piece, which probably wasn't a steal, but if it was legit and truly matching, was surely somewhere in the right ballpark.

Was I being an idiot and passed up a great deal?

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Cartoonist, there are plenty of decent sellers that could use your hard earned money, so don't fret any about missing out on a deal with this guy. Sounds like there was a reason he didn't want you to look at the rifle closer. In my opinion you made the right call by walking away. And thanks for your service!!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
+1, and thanks again.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies -- I have all my reference books packed away so wasn't able to check myself. Good to know that I didn't pass up something special and it was likely too good to be true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts