Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 1939 Manufacture Luger that was brought back form WWII in 1942 It had the orginal Holster with it and I think one orginal mag and one non orginal mag.

It has all the navy marking on it. The problem he has is that it was nickle plated. This happend in Europe during the war, according to the owner he bought it from his father brough it back form Denmark in 1942 or 43 and when he got the pistol it was nickle plated.

Here is my question Is this luger worth anything?

Would or could this have been nickle plated during the war in Europe?

What would you value the gun at?
Other than the nickle plating it is great condition.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In spite of the story I would be cautious about it. The navy variation is often faked. I am reading into your story, but I assume an American brought it back from Denmark, what was an American doing in Denmark in 1942? Lots of Lugers were "customized" by GI's after the war. If it is a real Navy it could be restored. Current value, if it is really a Navy is probably around $1000.00 IMHO.
Mc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I do not know off hand what they are but, we both sat down with a Luger book and figured it out one evening. If I get a chance I will ask him if I can take some pictures of it and post them.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
From the description the pistol MUST be an original Km! It would have been issued to U Boat captains because it would be impervious to salt water corrosion. ;)
NO there were NO nickled German pistols of any variety issued durring WW 1 or 2. Besides, almost certain to have been chromed, Not nickeled.
Yes, there would be only one (1) marking on it that would indicate Km issue. It could however also have a 2nd one. Some did and some didn't.
NO, it can not be stripped and reblued and still have any collector value! It has been ruined! Besides it would cost a very large amount of money to redo it. Current value is that of a shooter grade Luger - around $300-500.
Sarge

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is very sad. :(

My local gunshop has a German Luger that was pristine until the guy who owned it had it chrome dipped by the guy who did the bumpers on his car. The gun is a shiney paper-weight now, it no longer functions. They have it at the shop to show people what not to do.

Stupid Bubba.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pic are following

I am having a hard time trying to tell him that it is not a 98% gun like he thinks it is. Because it has been altered it does not matter when it was altered or by who but Luger's did not come nickle or chrome plated. He has a letter from the guy that states it was brought back from Belgium in 1942 and by then it was platted. Yes I mixed them up when I said Denmark it was Belgium. He swears up and down it is a 98% or better gun and it should not matter weather it is nickle plated or not. He is new to shooting and new to buying guns. I told him one time that he should have taken me with him. This is a 1939 manufacture which according to his Luger book say there was only 400 issued.

Well the pictures are below so let me know what you guys thinks. He also bought a PPK that was nickel or chromed also. I know pretty much that he got taken on the Luger but am not sure on the PPK.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If your friend wishes to believe that this is a 98% pistol, let it go. He will find out when he attempts to sell it. While it may have came back from Belgium in 1942, which I doubt, many axis power pistols were plated in occupied territory after capture for a pack of cigerettes at the local bicycle shop.

By-the-by, the side plate is mismatched. Futhermore, I don't know which "luger" book your friend relies on (Davis, perhaps?), however, 85,500 1939 dated 42 code lugers were produced, not 400. Of course there may be only 400 mismatched chromed navy marked shooters around. Unfortunately, that doesn't help the value. I reckon that it may be worth $500 as a shooter, but not to me.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The letter is bogus because there were No Allied troops in Belguim between 1940 & 44.
Don't know what the number on the inside of the side plate represents, but the outside nr is matching. It does look like the take down latch may be mismatched, but not sure and I'm not sure about the ejector?
When the chrome is stripped off the gun would NOT be any better than 85% because it was buffed good in places before plating. Look at the WaA - eagle 655 on the right front of the slide, they are partially gone.
I've never seen a Km fleet marking that looked like that - N over 39'5. There should only be numbers, No symbols!
He probably got took on the Walther also unless he got Real Lucky because Almost None of those were anything other than blued. I'd like to see a photo of it.
Sarge

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sarge:

I should have stated that, IMHO, the side plate has been re-numbered. I think that the poroperty stamp on the grip strap was, originally, N over 3915; the 1 being mostly buffed off. In any event, again, IMHO, this was a desirable and highly collectable P.08 that has been turned into a shooter.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Pic are following

I am having a hard time trying to tell him that it is not a 98% gun like he thinks it is. Because it has been altered it does not matter when it was altered or by who but Luger's did not come nickle or chrome plated. He has a letter from the guy that states it was brought back from Belgium in 1942 and by then it was platted. Yes I mixed them up when I said Denmark it was Belgium. He swears up and down it is a 98% or better gun and it should not matter weather it is nickle plated or not. He is new to shooting and new to buying guns. I told him one time that he should have taken me with him. This is a 1939 manufacture which according to his Luger book say there was only 400 issued.

Well the pictures are below so let me know what you guys thinks. He also bought a PPK that was nickel or chromed also. I know pretty much that he got taken on the Luger but am not sure on the PPK.
What was previously an valuable [around $1300-1500 minimum] all-matching example of a P.08 is now a 'shooter' worth around $600 to a non-collector. I am still having problems getting my head around anybody bringing this pistol back from nazi-German occupied Belgium in 1942, as well. Denmark for those whose history is a mite rusty, was also an occupied country, joining on to Germany as it does - the same as Belgium, it was a walkover for the Wehrmacht. In Europe, Eire, Switzerland, Spain/Portual and UK were unoccupied by nazis. Sweden and Eire were neutral, like Switzerland.

America joined in the war on December 7 1941, and its citizens were not free to go visiting Belgium or anywhere else for that matter in nazi-occupied Europe, let alone 'obtain' a fancy nickel-plated Luger for a friendly dealer.

AFAIK, he was took on the other pistol as well. Only the very highest ranking nazis ever received shiny pistols from a grateful Mr Hitler, and they were usually profusely engraved as well.

Your pal would have done better to have studied www.lugerforums.com and the various Walther fora before putting his hand in his pocket.

tac

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
69,455 Posts
[/B]
Pic are following

Well the pictures are below so let me know what you guys thinks. He also bought a PPK that was nickel or chromed also. I know pretty much that he got taken on the Luger but am not sure on the PPK. "

It does not sound like you are going to change his mind and if you keep arguing with him, you may lose a friend.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am pretty sure me and Geo saw this exact pistol at the Chantilley Show 2 or 3 months ago. The guy we talked to had picked up a walther at the same time. We told him all the above, me thinking the navy marks made the value an extra $200 or so, Geo no more than $500.

We patiently explained at the time that value was halved or more, for both pistols being nickled...

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ed I am sure you did. He has been to just about every gun show in NoVA looking for a price on that gun.

I think after this I am going to report what I find and let it die.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just don't buy the story. In 1942, both Belgium and Denmark were German-occupied territory.

And I doubt the story about German naval pistols being nickled.

Lone Star

1 - 18 of 18 Posts