Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not planning to go, but 11:00 AM in the morning I was doing some "honey dos" in that part of town, and I decided to check it out. I should have saved my $8. Eastman crammed more tables in, and the line at 11 was wound halfway down the side of the building. It was very warm inside, and you could not move or see anything without fighting the crowd. If there had been anything worth buying, it might have been OK, but there wasn't jack. A few 91/30s and M44s. Beagles had the usual few Finns, including a neat Finn capture. looked like an early bbl on a later receiver. I saw one SVT. Made by "Tokarev" according to the tag. Made by Izhevsk according to the reciever. I think it was $650 which is not too bad these days. I saw a 1903 Springfield with a three didget serial number, 247 or something. Reworked of course. One guy had a Finn capture Sestroyetsk for only $600. It seemed that semi-auto handguns and AR type rifles were selling. No bulk ammo, but I did find a box of 8mm that I will try to get identified on the Ammo Board. It's marked 7.92 MM 42. Seller said it was Canadian. Came in a 44 round unmarked cardboard box. Got it for it's collector appeal, nice looking ammo. After this show, I'm back to the "Tedcot."

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I got within 20 miles of there...glad I did not go in...met a friend to do some tradin'. Brought home 3 mausers...a like new mitchell's M48 and 2 nice K98 Yugo reworks...

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
We decided to run off to the mountains this weekend and I was absolutely convinced that the days of $100 Maks and $50 Mosins (and $200 carbines) would return just because I was not there. Whew! Been sitting up here in the gray, wet with a fire going. Made a good choice this time, it appears. Did get out earlier and try out my .22 Savage NRA Match Rifle (circa 1940) and my recently acquired CZ83 9x18. Both very sweet in their own ways.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Springbank,

Good report, if from a dissapointing show. I have sworn off most shows until late 2010, when I get out of grad school...or decide to stay in for more abuse. Those Eastman shows are a real hoot. One has to wonder how long they can piss off the populace and keep in business? Hmm?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,871 Posts
Wow, at $650 I would have been real tempted to pick up the SVT, especially if it was decent looking. You'd be hard pressed if not SOL trying to find one that cheap in my neck-of-the-woods.

Tim

·
Gold Bullet Member
329 Posts
The MM 42 is Canadian. Very good ammo and it is reloadable. I "tested" about six different countries' 8mm surplus several years ago. The Canadian was most accurate in 2 different Turks, a CZ 24, and a 98k. Romainian 1950s was second. Ecuador was the worst, it looked like a shotgn pattern. EDINOH.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SVT was funky looking. It looked sort of like a typical rework, except for the bolt. It was in the white and the rifle looked strange, not a Finn rework, and not like a typical non rework. Just a strange one, and I don't need one at that price. It might have been a good deal, but not for me.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
The MM 42 is Canadian. Very good ammo and it is reloadable. I "tested" about six different countries' 8mm surplus several years ago. The Canadian was most accurate in 2 different Turks, a CZ 24, and a 98k. Romainian 1950s was second. Ecuador was the worst, it looked like a shotgn pattern. EDINOH.
Thanks, EDINOH. I have a box or so of this MM 42 ammo and I'm glad to know it's good stuff and reloadable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.