Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on an older thread that people are buying M1 Garands from something called CMP. What is that? I'm not into the Garands, sorry , Mosin Nagant M91-30 junky, but was wondering what they were talking about.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,174 Posts
The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is an agency set up to encourage shooting sports in America. It was established when the services back about WW1 found that a lot of recruits had no familiarization with firearms.

Their website with give a lot more information http://www.odcmp.com/

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,964 Posts
Generally CMP's prices are better than gun show prices.

·
Registered
320 Posts
And the rifles bear no importer stamps.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
CMP is a great place a buy American arms if you can afford them.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Don't believe CMP will be a great deal forever. Or, even for much longer.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
CMP just got 113,000 M1 Garands from Greece. They expect these to fill their needs for the next five years!!!!! After that the Democrats/liberals will probably put and end to it. Personally I hope they sell them out faster, and go hunting for more. I've heard through the grape vine that they are doing just this, but having the money and storage space would help!
Adopt a CMP Garand! A rifle is a terrible thing to waste.

Surgeon General warning: They are addictive

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

Check out the descriptions & prices. For the most part, it doesn't sound really wonderful to me. I especially like the statements about newly manufactured parts & stocks on some of the higher grades. They are a whole lot more like a commercial enterprise at this point. Calling those guns original military is a stretch. A good deal, not to me. The CMP is NOT what it used to be.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Around here (eastern VA) at gun shows you can pick them up for much less, in equivalent condition, if you are patient. Many collectors bought them a while ago at much better prices and condition, and with the WW2 generation leaving us daily they become available, primarliy from walk ins. I bought one from a walk in that had been totally restored with a new Douglas barrel and a 140k serial number reciever for $750 cash. The gun had been redone by a Marine corps master armorer who is well known locally.

regards
badger

·
Registered
129 Posts
CMP prices are better than Century and SOG for what they are offering. Yes there are qualifications to be met but that is easy to do if you is inclined. Great prices on M2 Ball for the Garand and bolt action 06's. Customer service that can't be beat. My Garands, 03A3 and 17 came from CMP along w/ammo. I am looking forward to getting more from them in the future.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I have about 30 rifles in my safe that I got from the CMP. I have never regretted anything I bought from them. I did do better than average by going to CMP south to handpick most.

Lets see - M1D for $750 - could sell easily for $3500
- all correct Eddystone M1917 - paid $400(?) - worth $800
- original finish Springfield 1903 Mark I (largely correct) - paid $400 - worth $900
- Remington 1903 Model 1941 - bought for about $450 - could sell for $900
- Collector Grade IHC - paid I think $750 - worth $1600
- Collector Grade WIN13 - paid $750 - worth $2500
- various M1s - paid $400 to $500 - each could be sold for $800 without trouble

No fakes! No forgeries! No worries about defective rifle! No worries about fraud!!!

Compared to my 401k plan I kicked butt on these rifles. They are now part of retirement plan.
CMP service has always been outstanding. There purpose is to promote marksmanship with the money earned from sales. There are many shooting organizations, and people engaged in the sport, because of the CMP.

The only rifle they advertise that uses aftermarket parts is the "Special" rifle. A limited run rifle about which the CMP is quite open about. It is designed for the shooter who wants a rifle that looks "new", and helps the CMP use many of the parts they have accumulated over the years. It is not for me, but I guarantee you that many people will love them.

I have said many times - the CMP rocks!!!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sounds like you've done quite well, Tom. In the past, that is. What's currently available? Let's see:

"FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)

Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade."

Those I'd call "found in a field condition", $500.

"SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)

Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color or type of wood; bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5."

Better, but still a worn, beat up Garand for $600. With all the really nice condition ones floating around out there for $600-$800, I'd have a hard time giving anyone, including CMP, that much for "worn, pitted, cracks, dings, scratches, gouges and nicks".

Would you now give $1900 for an M1D in the previously described "Field" condition? Too much? OK, there are the M1D "Rack Grade" for $1500. Appears to be "found in a field, beaten on a rack condition". Both of those are without accessories or optics, BTW.

Know anyone who recently received any of those $500+ M1 carbines from CMP? I do. Nobody was amused, much less particularly happy.

CMP is no longer a value. Why do you think they are about to start "producing" the $900 CMP Special with aftermarket barrels, stocks & other parts? Maybe because they got no really good Garands, period?

It appears that, if they do find any really good M1 rifles (95% condition) in the mass of junk that's been recently brought in, the prices will start at $1400. Half-assed good condition (85%), starting at $950. IF they find any.

If I had the option of walking into their store & picking one out, just maybe. Otherwise, it appears those good days are OVER.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
My experience is that the CMP understates their classifications. Many private companies overstate the condition (check out thread on Semi board about SOG's Garands). Do people get Garands from CMP that they are'nt thrilled with - yes. The vast majority of people ,however, are thrilled with what they get. CMP is rising prices yes - they are not in the business of giving rifles away, but supporting "Shooting Sports" with the funds raised.
I have bought service grades that had MW of 0, and TE of 1. Finish nearly 100%. Finding service grades that rate as Exc++ is not hard.
Biggest problem I see with someone buying a Garand for the first time is not really knowing what they are getting. Too many built-by-amatuer Garands at gunshows with shot out barrels! Good parts stripped off Garands, and swapped for worn-out parts.
There is a gunsmith named Gus Fisher who makes a living at local gunshows weeding out these rifles for prospective buyers. Also does a lot of rebarreling the shot-out rifles too. Great guy - highly recommend him.
I have never heard a valid complaint of the CMP mis-stateing what it sells. Never heard of a complaint they did'nt fix.
M1 Garands are expensive, but if you want one there is no better/more trusted source than the CMP.

·
Registered
548 Posts
CMP: Simply the Best

I forgot to mention: CMP is the only outfit that is legally allowed to do direct-to-your-door
delivery to a non-FFL/C&R. No transfer fees.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,105 Posts
Know anyone who recently received any of those $500+ M1 carbines from CMP? I do. Nobody was amused, much less particularly happy.
Well, I received one of those $500 CMP carbines, and I'll tell you what I think about it.
It's beautiful! Very nice walnut wood in great shape with no cracks or foreign stamps, almost perfect parkerizing. Bore is a gleaming mirror with a muzzle wear of '1'.
Best of all? All rounds in the black at 100y, nary a failure in 300r, so far.

I've purchased several rifles from the CMP in the last few years, some better than others, but none have been dogs.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
320 Posts
... Know anyone who recently received any of those $500+ M1 carbines from CMP? I do. Nobody was amused, much less particularly happy. ...
I bought 2 of the Inlands and I am very happy with both of them ... they are surprisingly accurate little rifles.

I agree with you that the CMP Value Factor is nowhere near as good as it once was ... I have my 10 $295 downgraded-due-to-easily-replaceable-wood Greek-Return HRA Rackers carefully stored away ... ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
676 Posts
Put me down as thrilled with my 2 Inlands! IBM wartime stock on one with a Rock Ola handguard. Nice SA M2 stock on the other. Both 6 didgit serial numbers with metal in beautiful shape. Both shoot excellent! I seen blue sky beaters around here sell for alot more!
I would not hesitate to buy yet another FG garand if I didn't already have all I need.
Find me a shooter garand for $495, I'd like to see it!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Another satisfied CMP Carbine customer

+1 -- Mine had great ( almost like new) metal finish, functions flawlessly,and puts 5 ROK ball or my 296 handloads
into 3 at 100 , often a little less. The stock had some sub-Service Grade issues , but nothing I couldn't fix myself. A stock pouch hides the repair.
I was very happy to get mine for $520.00. Many people , maybe most , got an even better deal than me.
No biggie , it all evens out in the long run.

CMP is the best!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Guys, don't get me wrong, I don't doubt or dispute any of your experiences. I do know that five friends of mine all received their carbines recently & were disappointed. They were all aware of the CMP descriptions & had hesitated to order because of the descriptions. Due to previous great deals, they all went ahead & ordered & received carbines that did meet exactly the published descriptions (in two words, not wonderful). The carbines were not junk, simply not the more wonderful all around condition everyone was used to receiving from DCM/CMP in the past, regardless of the descriptions. All the Carbines are gone. All the 03s are gone. The Garands that remain are being pieced together. Not simply inspected & repaired as necessary, but literally pieced together. In some cases using aftermarket parts. It appears all of the descriptions (even for rifles they don't have & don't know even if they'll have) are backed down quite a bit. Time will tell. But, it ain't like it used to be even before the price increases are considered. I simply advise lower expectations.....at higher prices.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts