Gunboards Forums banner

CMP Western Games Vintage Rifle Match - What are you shooting?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tiledude 
#1 ·
Anyone else out there shooting in the CMP Western Games Vintage Rifle Match?

I'm struggling between shooting one of my M-39 Nagants or a Swedish M-96 Mauser. Have used each once in the past as well as a Swiss K31.

The Nagant lover in me wants to shoot the M-39 but the competeive guy wants to shoot the M-96.

Tiledude

#9 ·
I used to shoot old military matches at a local club. I regularly won the bolt gun group with one of my '98 Krags. I wouldn't think twice about shunning my M39s and taking a Krag.

One big advantage of the Krag is that the sling swivel is positioned so you can actually use it to steady your front hand. Mosin slings have the attachment too far forward to be of much use except as a hasty sling.

The Krag's lack of stripper clip loading is a small disadvantage. Just get some practice in dumping 5 rounds in the open gate.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone wanting to shoot one of these matches would be to have a good zero for all ranges of fire.

Have fun to all who go!

#10 ·
CMP Western Games Vintage Rifle Match

I've shot my best in this match using a Swede 96/38.

The rapid fire and clip-loading speed with the M39 was not bad at all for me in last year's match, it was primarily the sling. The K31 had similar issues - Was able to use a web M1 sling on the K31 they time I used it, worked OK.

The accuracy of the rifles that I mentioned is sufficient, the Swede and the Swiss were very smooth to operate by the M39 that I used was actually smooth enough. For me I think that it does come down to the sling and where and how it attaches.

I definitely agree that having a good 200 yd. zero before the match is critical.

In the past the high scores were Swedish Mauser and Swiss K31 but I have seen various Mausers, M1917 Enfields, No1Mk3, No4Mk1/2 Enfields, M44 and my Moisin Nagant M39 used in this match.

You can use your own handloads in this specific match.

I'm pretty sure at this point that I am going to use a 1918 Carl Gustav M96 Swedish Mauser which I have a good zero on and a good leather sling.

Panhead - I'm pretty sure that you can shoot the Vintage either Sunday or Monday - Would that allow you to shoot in it?

Tiledude

#13 ·
Thanks for the invite Bill but I'm up in Nor-Cal and it is a long drive.

I would not feel poorly-armed in this match with a Krag - The rapid fire phase allows plenty of time - Didn't feel rushed clip-loading and working the bolt of my Moisin Nagant.

Enjoy the Elk hunt!

Tiledude

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.