Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More photos to come, but I just got my CMP Underwood M1 Carbine yesterday. Pleasantly surprised on the overall condition. As expected it's a post war rebuild (underwood with inland barrel in an M2 stock - no FAT on it though).

Quick photo attached below!

This is the first rifle I've gotten from CMP, and I can't wait to get it out and plink with it.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,795 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Talked to a friend who volunteers at the CMP, and he's gone thru all of them. Looks like you got lucky on the stock being in decent shape - he says a lot of them are very bruised (they are throwing out the cracked ones).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to a friend who volunteers at the CMP, and he's gone thru all of them. Looks like you got lucky on the stock being in decent shape - he says a lot of them are very bruised (they are throwing out the cracked ones).
Mine has a couple of scrapes on the underside and a few dings that you can't see in that photo - but it'll clean up with some lemon oil and maybe a touch of BLO

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hope to post some pics tomorrow, but my stock looks like new, an Italian replacement. Barrel looks new too, but I'm betting it's a rework...

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Nice pot bellied stock on that one! Nice!

·
Registered
320 Posts
WOW! Great-looking wood and metal! Congratulations, thanks for the pic and let us know how she shoots. :)

Kim

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
48,013 Posts
Despite the fact that the stock does not have the FAT stamp is it in fact an American stock? I don't know how to say this but it has that "Euro-hue" to it.:eek:
OTOH, it resembles a stained Birch M14 stock.

I don't know, but it just doesn't look like the American M1 stocks I'm familiar with.

In any event, that is one very nice looking carbine and I'd have been proud to have received that from CMP.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Despite the fact that the stock does not have the FAT stamp is it in fact an American stock? I don't know how to say this but it has that "Euro-hue" to it.:eek:
OTOH, it resembles a stained Birch M14 stock.

I don't know, but it just doesn't look like the American M1 stocks I'm familiar with.

In any event, that is one very nice looking carbine and I'd have been proud to have received that from CMP.
Not sure whether it's an American stock or not. I haven't taken it apart at this point. There is also a complete lack of visible cartouches on the stock itself apart from a 3 digit number on the underside of the foregrip area.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It can be USGI wood witha FAT stamp. Some of the original USGI barrels on the carbines have had a very small FAT stamp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts