Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called CMP North Monday to see if and when they would have any M1 Special Grade rifles for sale. They said 30 would be available for sale this morning.

I'd heard of the last two releases of Inland and Underwood M1 Carbines and the ridiculous lines snaking way out from the front door of the building, so I determined I would be the first in line to avoid missing one of these rebuilt M1 rifles.

Left Columbus about 2:30 AM and arrived at Camp Perry at 5:15 AM. I was the first one there. Apparently, I was let onto post earlier than civilians just because I am a state Guard member. Sat there in my folding chair for a bit and other customers showed up. First was a 70-year-old man from Buffalo, NY who had driven over the night before and got a hotel room. The next two guys had driven straight, all the way from Clarksville, TN. I had to admire that.

All told, there were only about 8 of us waiting when the store opened, so no rush and we could leisurely look over the 30 rifles and take out pick. I bought the first one I picked up.

Abosultely beautiful rifles. Brand new black walnut stocks and refinished metal surfaces. The reciever is a light gray and all other parts, barrel, op-rod, rear sight, trigger group, etc. are a darker charcoal color. I'm not sure who made the stocks, but I suspect they are Boyd's. It has a "CMP" cartouche and the handguards match the stock perfectly. The barrels, I was pleased to learn, are from Wilson Combat and brand new.

They are all Springfield Armory recievers of both post-war and wartime production. I believe mine is a wartime number. My trigger group has a milled guard, not stamped.

The rifle comes with a Turner Saddlery M1907 sling, brand new and in the wrapper. It is stamped "CMP" as well. It also comes with one clip and a yellow plastic "empty chamber indicator" for use in matches.

Also included was a brochure for "Miltech Arms", the military rifle restoration outfit in California that ships their guns in new pine crates. I guess this tells us who did the restoration on these rifles.

After paying the darn Ohio state sales tax, the rifle cost $953.18. This compares favorably to "CMP match legal" builds from such places as Fulton-Armory and other places. I kicks the tar out of the new Springfield Armory guns with their cast receivers and parts from the Danish returned rifles of a few years back. Besides, the new Springfield Armory guns aren't "cmp legal" and can't be used in the Garand Match at Perry.

I think this is an excellent deal for an M1 intended to be competitive in John C. Garand Matches.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Miltech did'nt do the build on these rifles. I've heard through reliable sources was done in-house, except for the refinishing of parts.
CMP has been giving out Miltech brouchures with all their rifles for a couple of years now. I think the CMP is paid by Milteech to do this. Good deal for both. I think at one point I was geting Boyds and Fulton Armory literature from them too.
I would also like to see pictures too, and a range report after you take it shooting.

Your not the first active duty personnel or veteran thats been given great treatment either - rightly so too. Heard some great stories about their treatment of veterans, and wish it got more publicity.

Thanks for report - Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
citizen,

Nice rifle. Congrats....

You stated:
The barrels, I was pleased to learn, are from Wilson Combat and brand new.
Sorry, but not true.

The barrel you have was made by Wilson Arms.... a barrel maker, not Wilson Combat. They are two totally unrelated firms.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thanks for the interesting report C.C., glad you got a nice piece that you wanted. I also admire your dedication, don't believe I'd have been able to pull off that night march at my age!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts