Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the recent batch of MIs that SOG is selling. I had posted this on the second page of a different thread concerning SOG's M1s and realized it deserves a thread of it's own.

I just placed my order today for a CMP Special. At $895 you can not beat the price particularly if you want a shooter. I waited until I saw some pictures which I have attached here. Take a look you will be very impressed. All reparked, new Boyd's stock with CMP cartouche, new barrel, everything in spec. Would not be surprised if years from now people will be chasing these as collectibles also. Will only be producing 1000 to test the waters.

Do yourself a favor if you are on the fence about purchasing a M1 Garand - go visit:

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=33

If you are not a registered purchaser at the CMP and you already have a C&R then it is pretty easy to fulfill some of the other requirements. Also you can not beat the price of 30-06 milsurp ammo at the CMP. There was a rather complete posting on this within the last few days. Just do a search on 'CMP'

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going Going Gone

Bill

The pictures are not of my M1. I only ordered one but those pictures are fairly representative of the M1 Special grade. Also nothing has been done to the stock yet. Generally people either put BLO (boiled linseed oil) or Tung Oil on these stocks to start developing the correct government look and patina.

By the way in reading some of the CMP threads it appears that these Specials will not last very long and will probably take on collector status.

I am buying it as a shooter.

William

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I started putting a proper oil finish on my Special Grade today. It is a bit dry as it comes from the CMP.

My first coat was just pure, undiluted Tung Oil. I found I didn't have any mineral spirits or turpentine in the house. That was early this morning. The wood liked to have sucked all the oil in within a few hours. Just put my second coat on a few minutes ago. this time a mixture of tung and turpentine...with just hint of linseed thrown into the mix to cover all the bases.

Now, I just do that 8 or 9 more times and I'll be set.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I can say is that you are very lucky. You must have picked it up at either the North or South store. They just posted earlier today - SOLD OUT! Everyone seems to be in shock. 1,000 rifles in 8 days.

I have used Minwax Tung oil on other US military stocks. The CMP highly recommends it. It has some drying agents but no polyurethane in it as some others do. I plan on using it on the SPECIAL stock if my order gets processed.

Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Luck had nothing to do with it!

I left Columbus, Ohio about 2:30 AM last Thursday and arrived at Camp Perry about 5:15 AM. The gate guards let me in because I'm an officer in the Ohio National Guard. Others had to wait until 6:00, so they told me.

The next guy to show up was from Buffalo, NY and had slept in a hotel room the night before. The next two guys after that had driven all night from Clarksville, TN. So we spent the next couple of hours in our folding chairs by the front door talking about guns.

Well, the guy from Buffalo did 95% of the talking. I could hardly get a word in edgewise.

I was first in line and first to purchase that morning. The other 7 guys who showed up spent a good deal of time looking over the 30 Special Grades in the rack. I didn't consider these were going to be collectible anytime soon, so I didn't take a lot of time looking for rare markings. I picked the rifle I could discern had the most attractive figure of black walnut and took it to the counter. Mine had "701" lightly written on the stock in chalk.

Unfortunately, I left my camera's battery charger at the other side of the state at my parent's house. I'll probably get pictures after my stock oiling is complete and I zero the rifle at the range, which is also in my parent's home town.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learning Lesson

Next time I am going to get on a plane and combine it with business and camp at the store. Did they only have Specials at the North store or did they have them also in the South store? I would have done the same thing and looked for a nice piece of wood.

Without a doubt you will always be able to get your money out of the rifle and probably make money. Hard to imagine selling because I rarely ever get rid of anything.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Honestly, I was expecting a mad rush like when CMP released the Saginaw and Inland carbines for sale in weeks and months past. Lines about 100 yards long or more. A friend of mine witnessed that. Muzzle wear gauges were being flashed around like business cards at a lawyer's convention.

Over on the CMP forums I read about a group of guys who'd actually camped out at CMP North starting about 10:00 the previous evening for one of those M1 Carbine sales. They sat around talking guns, smacking mosquitos and applying liberal coats of "Off" to themselves all night.

Like I said, there were about 30 rifles at North. I imagine there was a similar number, if not more at CMP South, where the guns were presumably built. I wanted a shooter for the Garand Match next year at Perry, provided I can take leave in order to compete.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait until the Winchesters start selling.

Talking about the carbines. Wait until January when the Winchesters start selling. All hell will break loose.

I got myself an Inland all correct except the operating handle. Also the bolt was an Inland flat and should have been the latter round - but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I don't entertain any illusions about getting my hands on a CMP carbine.

I just won an M1 Carbine (Inland) on an internet auction today. Probably paid too much for it. It is mainly so that I can compete with it next summer (again, leave permitting) in the CMP Games events.

I will probably restock and rebarrel it if the muzzle doesn't gauge satisfactorily. I'm not a collector and it is a mixmaster gun anyway.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on your win.

The CMP had been selling carbine stock sets for about $99. They weren't posted today so they may be temporarily out. Wenigs also has a complete set for about $75.00

Carbines are a bunch of fun to shoot. The Aquilla ammo that the CMP is selling is the deal.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Amazing stories considering the bunches of AUTHENTIC M1's at OGCA (Ohio Gun Collectors Association) show last weekend, many being absolutely correct too, for around the same price or a little more and not with a fake stock and "CMP" cartouched. Seems like CMP had a whole bunch of barreled actions they needed to get rid of and invented this little marketing ploy! Collectible years down the road? For parts maybe. Good luck with them!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
In the past the CMP has made allowances for military personal on overseas duty if your afraid you'll be overseas when the Winchesters go on sale! There are a good number of Winchesters too - if you send your order overnight for the first day - you have more than a VG+ chance of getting one.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Amazing stories considering the bunches of AUTHENTIC M1's at OGCA (Ohio Gun Collectors Association) show last weekend, many being absolutely correct too, for around the same price or a little more and not with a fake stock and "CMP" cartouched. Seems like CMP had a whole bunch of barreled actions they needed to get rid of and invented this little marketing ploy! Collectible years down the road? For parts maybe. Good luck with them!
I did not want a "correct" M1 Garand with which to compete in John C. Garand matches at Perry and other places in Ohio. I wanted one that was tight in the stock and gauged an absolute "0" on a muzzle gauge and throat erosion gauge and had all new springs. These are not "barreled actions", as you say, but wear new button-rifled chrome-moly barrels from Wilson Arms. I would no more concern myself with cartoches or proof marks on a new Rock River Arms CMP-legal AR15 for The President's Match, than I would for a competition M1 I intend to use in a Garand Match.

The Special Grade is ostensibly a competition gun. And I like the idea that these guns were only going to be sold one to a customer so there is a greater chance of these rifles going to actual shooters rather than to a dealer who buys five, jacks them up $200 and then sets them on a table at a gunshow. Shooters, not wall hangers, safe queens, or conversation pieces.

Similar Garand Match-legal rifles from places like Fulton-Armory, Miltech, Arrington Arms, or National Match Armory are much, much more expensive than the Special Grade.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If they perform like a match M1, all will be well with that....

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I think I should clarify something for folks not familiar with the John C. Garand Match rules.

For most shooters, a "Match" M1 Garand means something with a bedded stock, tuned trigger, Douglas air-gauged heavy competition barrel, unitized gas system, and National Match front and rear sights. Or some incarnation thereof.

That is a true National Match M1 Garand rifle you could use in the National Trophy Matches or NRA High Power matches.

John C. Garand Match M1s are stock rifles. Meant to be basically in the condition a soldier would have upon being issued an M1. No tuning or special parts or sights or bedding. You can only "tune" the rifle by the careful fitting of standard, non-match, USGI parts or their equivalent commercial manufacture (except for receivers, which MUST be USGI).

So, the best you can do in a Garand Match is to have the best "stock" rifle you can obtain. At the moment, the most affordable rifle like that is the Special Grade.

No, it will not perform like a "match M1", as you say, it will perform like a new USGI M1 Garand just out of the crate from the Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When you stated, "The Special Grade is ostensibly a competition gun." , it seemed you meant more than just "stock".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts