Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some work at Camp Perry a few weeks ago, and stopped by the CMP store to look around...big mistake, an M1 Field Grade followed me home.
The barrel was less than 4 on the throat, and the muzzle did not totally swallow the gauge, so I grabbed it.
After getting home, I looked up the serial number production...1943, barrel was the same, and original to the rifle I think.
The stock had seen better days, but I had an original at home that I refurbished, so no problems there.
The operating rod was NM, and the trigger guard was milled not stamped.
I cleaned her up, greased it in all the right places, and put the new stock on it, and went to the range. Sixty rounds later, no FTF, no cycle problems, and no problems with Battle Sight Zero. I was very nervous that I switched stocks, and might have a cycle problem, but it looks like I did a good job.
At 200M, I was placing all my shots center mass (a pie plate grouping) on an Army "E" silhouette. I am VERY pleased!
For those of you that were wondering about the CMP Garand specials for $800 or so, I got to see one, and handle it....outstanding is an understatement.
You just gotta love that old M1 Garand....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another heart warming story of a CMP Garand. I gotta quit reading these, it makes me hanker for another.

I've seen photos of a "Special" Garand and it just didn't talk to me...but I bet it is one hell of a shooter. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought one in early 2003 and had it totally rebuilt NM...Kreiger barrel, NM sights, Boyds stock ect. The only problem with this was the fact that I could not "beat on it" at the range.
I"m glad my friend goaded me into the rifle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts