Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked out this one in person at CMP South on the start of our cross country trip. Bad news; the place is mostly empty. About 50 Welded M1s at $350, a handful of M1s in .308, a dozen each of M1C and D; $1500 and $2500, and 19 SA field grades is mostly rough shape. Two sold while I was there; one to me. I broached the subject of a Winchester...they seemed to get that question a lot...only one old gentleman behind the counter who was about to retire.

I found a diamond in the rough; you didn't expect me to leave empty handed did you?

SN 358427, October '41, in the correct GHS/SA stock; GHS visible, SA not really. Wood is a little beat, but a nice color and the forearm play is minimal. All parts are SA WWII except a couple, and most date from 41-42.

Barrel: 11/1946 3 ME 4 TE. I passed on a 978K with a 4/43 barrel, but the barrel was 3/6.
*Hammer: SA-3
*Safety: SA-9
*Bolt: SA-9
*Trigger housing: SA-13
*Safety: SA-9
*Follower: SA-12
*Post war SA op rod
*WRA milled TG
*HRA op rod cage
*WRA rear peep sight

Now for the stock cleaning.

T

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All cleaned up and greased. Field stripped and cleaned bolt and action; was in much better shape internally than my other field grade M1 save gas cylinder is a little tight. Swapped in a spare gas screw with 50% finish. Added in the PKW44 sling, plastic oiler, M3A1 tool, and grease tub from the old M1. I kept the '45' rack number on the stock, kinda cool. Ready to go to the range.

T

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Range report. Best of my three Garands out of the box. Bore shot clean, although not mirror bright at 3+/4. 76 degrees, drizzle, blustery, 100% humidity. 100 yards, seated, no sling, 1978 HXP.

Started at 7 clicks up and hit at 2:00, sixes and sevens as seen on the left target. Walked the shots to center in 2+ clips. I overlaid the second target (right) over the first, and shot the remaining 3+ clips; finishing with rear sight at three clicks up and four left. I might bring it up one, but as my string is up and down, it's me (breathing).

T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.