Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CMP has closed both stores to catch up on mail/ online orders. I had an appointment to finally go pick out a Garand in May, and now I’m at a loss.

With the BM59 kits that are available from Sarco and Numrich, there seem to be parts missing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I feel such a strong need to build a Garand from scratch? Is there a more lucrative/ cost effective way to go?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Have you looked at the prices of garand recivers? Its cheapr to buy a complete garand from CMP than try and build a rifle. If you still decide on building I have plenty of garand parts for sale cheaper than you will find them online. Most are NOS ,unissued

·
Registered
581 Posts
Edited (weeks not months):

Have you considered mail order? I’ve had fantastic luck with cmp mail order. Two great service grade rifles. Even last year during their Covid 6-8 week shut down, and this spring when they were behind the most it took was 10-14 weeks. I just sent another application in and I’m just assuming I won’t hear anything until at least July. I’m good with that

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I was planning to visit the south store on a trip through the area later this month and I’m pretty disappointed that I won’t be able to stop in and pick my own. Looks like I’ll be doing the mail order too - if I can stop buying Carcanos long enough find a notary and get my paperwork submitted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the Garand forum? Is it a part of the “American military weapons past and present” forum?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone ordered and received one from CMP recently? Just curious how the quality of the remaining service grade rifles has been. Want to give one to my father in the future and get my order in before too long.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Has anyone ordered and received one from CMP recently? Just curious how the quality of the remaining service grade rifles has been. Want to give one to my father in the future and get my order in before too long.
Two weeks ago I received a ‘44 Springfield with WWII USGI Wood in really nice condition. All parts had matching even wear. Looks great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I already got my Garand. Don’t bother them. I just got my 1911 RNG number. I’m only about 1000 away. Let them get my pistol out. Then you can pester them.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I already got my Garand. Don’t bother them. I just got my 1911 RNG number. I’m only about 1000 away. Let them get my pistol out. Then you can pester them.
I discovered those literally a day after the deadline. I hope they have a round 3.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I received a HRA service grade 2-21. Only part H&R was receiver. All SA with CMP stock. New 51 SA barrel. Will be great shooter!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was planning to visit the south store on a trip through the area later this month and I’m pretty disappointed that I won’t be able to stop in and pick my own. Looks like I’ll be doing the mail order too - if I can stop buying Carcanos long enough find a notary and get my paperwork submitted.
It's not like they guarantee selection in the stores.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Where is the Garand forum? Is it a part of the “American military weapons past and present” forum?
I dont know. I think not. If this is the CMP sales forum, prices there are very high. I was in shock how anyone could be duped into paying some of those asking prices when CMP prices were so much better. I am a big fan of the CMP program. I also found the CMP forum was an excellent resource. My only criticism, is the classified in not someplace I would be watching for a 'fair' deal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My order forms arrived at the CMP on 1/20. I finally received notification that they are processing my order on 4/6.
I think I still have about 2 weeks before it actually arrives on my doorstep. Possibly longer.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My order forms arrived at the CMP on 1/20. I finally received notification that they are processing my order on 4/6.
I think I still have about 2 weeks before it actually arrives on my doorstep. Possibly longer.
That maybe slow, but; seems like a much better way to go than piecing one together from scratch. In fact, I though things were a lot slower than this. Good news.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh I'm not complaining. Just putting my timeline up there to help readers gain some perspective.

I ordered the Special Rack grade so it'll have new furniture and a new Criterion barrel. I wanted a shooter not a collectible. At least it'll have an old receiver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts