·
Registered
470 Posts
Nice Colt/Colt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The serial dates to 1944. Any thoughts on the finish? Has it been refinished? I really don't know what to look for. The finish on the inside of the grip looks pretty worn, and the front of the slide seems darker. Could that be heat treating? And the safeties and slide stop look blued as opposed to parkerized. Is that normal?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Looks good to me! You done good! Oh and yes, the darker front of the slide is normal. If you didn't see that then you should worry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It looks like you did very good, the slide coloring is normal. As for the slide lock and the safety being blued, it’s normal to find blued parts on military.45’s manufactured during WWII. At some point in either the manufacturing process or an Arsenal overhaul, parts used or replaced are done with whatever is available.

Colt ramped up their production of 1911A1 pistols for WWII. Colt had been producing the 1911 and 1911A1 for almost 40 years prior to WWII and this includes all the commercial variants of the pistol.

During the ramp up for the war contract, Colt used parts from their commercial inventory to meet production quotas. It wasn’t uncommon to find that the barrels were blued and the slide stop and safety were also blued.

When you finally do get the gun out of the holding period and you disassemble the gun, take a look at the inside of the slide lock, see if there is the number “2” stamped inside.

There’s nothing wrong with the part, Colt manufactured.22 caliber conversion kits for the 1911 and 1911A1 frames. The slide stops for the conversion kits were a little different than the standard slide stop for the .45 or other calibers they produced. Collectors of Colt 1911’s are always looking for the unique parts.

If the blued finish bothers you, you can always find surplus parkerized parts for sale. The parts are almost always interchangeable, this way you can put the gun in it’s fully parkerized

Hope this helps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to take it apart. I like the two tone parkerizing and the blued small parts... now that I know it might be sort of "correct." I have a hopeful suspicion that this pistol just might be in a condition that is close to original as issued. It does not have an arsenal rebuild or inspection stamp. So, who knows?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Check the barrel to see if it is marked Colt 45 auto on the lower left side of the chamber just above the lug. Colt stopped numbering slides to pistol serial numbers about 50,000 units before yours…too bad!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,860 Posts
Much better than most. I would be happy.

Some of the small parts may be parkerized but look to be blue. There were variables that caused this but you got a nice pistol IMO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you might be right. I only got to hold it for a minute or two. The different color of the small parts really jumped out at me, but looking closer at the photograph, the slide stop though darker does appear to be parkerized. I won’t get to really look at it until Saturday at noon. Thanks Gavin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts