Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been away from the c&r game for a couple years, since I closed out my 8mm collection, but I recently got back in by accident. I went to my local gun shop a few years ago and saw an arisaka t99 in the consignment rack. The stock was beat up, but it was matching. I was low on funds, so I moved on. A year later (Yes, I have kids; no, I don't get out much), I was back in the same shop and saw the same Arisaka, so I picked it up as a project to backup hunting rifle. It turned out to be a very solid pick: matching bolt/receiver, chrome bore, no aa-wings (but since elk haven't picked up flying lately,,, no loss of function). Under the wood is very little rust. It's from Jinsen, sn 160. Ground mum, which I'm good with. It's got a bit of surface rust which I intend to remove with an electrolysis bath, but I have 2 issues:
1. Removing the trigger guard is a little tricky. So far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be a trick to this. I don't see any additional latches or pins. I have some trepidation about yanking on anything that is 70 years old. Any suggestions for easing the trigger guard out?
2. The wood is old (duh). It's shrunk a bit. Tightening the rear trigger guard bolt into the tang until the bottom of the bolt release sits flush to the stock actually lifts a couple threads of the trigger guard bolt above the tang and into the path of the bolt safety. Thoughts about tightening this up so I can make it safer to fire?
Oh, and pics, b/c I have seen the "new guy" episode before and it's never complete w/out pics.....

thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Whoa!

Please don't go any farther with this very early Jinsen. Stay away from the electrolysis!

I'll be happy to trade you a better rifle for this one.

PM me if interested.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
The two observations on your rifle so far indicate you found an uncommon variety, possibly worth more to a collector than what you might have paid for it. (I don't know, but these guys do).

That being the case, hide the steel wool, the sandpaper, and the eletrolysis equipment. If you have removed the front, rear, and tang screws, and you have lifted out the barreled receiver, I would gently tap all around the top of the magazine, and see if the triggerguard assembly drops out. There should not be anything else holding that piece in.

Good luck!

Dean (the other one

Don't tell the other guys, but I'd be tempted to file down the top of the rear tang screw to clear the bolt. Put some oxphoblue on the filed part, and deny doing it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Biff, you should really trade this very desirable rifle to one of the folks here without doing anything to it. Both parties should come out pleased as punch.
I wouldn't try to remove the triggerguard, you may take some stock wood out with it and that would suck in a mucho way.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hi biff47 :

Very strange, I too have an early features Jinsen # 229 that had surface rust all over the the outside metal surfaces, ground mum, mismatch Nagoya bolt, monopod band without any signs of having had a pod on the unblemished stock, early "B" rear sight without signs of ever having wings installed.
Yes early production 40th series Jinsen 99s with early features ( 3 screw front band, square cleaning rod release for long cleaning rod, monopod style rear band with or without the monopod, "B" rear sight with or without wings, chrome barrel bore and chrome bolt face ) are scarce and quite collectible.
You would do well to trade this bird on a more common one unless you are into collecting 99s .
Good luck.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it appears I have quite a tiger by the tail with this rifle. I appreciate all of the replies. I will hold off on doing anything to it until I have a chance to read up a little more on Jinsens. I had already ordered a copy of "Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka Type 99 Rifle" by J.B.Kimmel, so I guess that casual reading is going to become a little more like homework. I am more of a user than a collector by temprament. I was interested in Arisaka primarily b/c I used to live in Japan for a couple years. thanks again. Except for the initial Hoppes9/oil pass already done, I won't do anything more until I decide how to next proceed. Thanks for all the input.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Well, it appears I have quite a tiger by the tail with this rifle. I appreciate all of the replies. I will hold off on doing anything to it until I have a chance to read up a little more on Jinsens. I had already ordered a copy of "Japanese 7.7mm Arisaka Type 99 Rifle" by J.B.Kimmel, so I guess that casual reading is going to become a little more like homework. I am more of a user than a collector by temprament. I was interested in Arisaka primarily b/c I used to live in Japan for a couple years. thanks again. Except for the initial Hoppes9/oil pass already done, I won't do anything more until I decide how to next proceed. Thanks for all the input.
Don't get too excited about it, a low number Jinsen will only appeal to a few of us "crazy" Japanese collectors! I'm more interested in a complete description, but would be happy to "save" it from being sportered or modified in any way.

Check out the Banzai sticky for a data sheet, fill it out, and send it to me, please. http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.